Fowl fowl pox!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
fur and feathers
Lively Laner

Fowl fowl pox!

Post by fur and feathers »

My poor Orpringtons have got Fowl pox {cry} They seem to have it very badly - at least to me. Their eyes are completely closed now with the pox lesions or scabs from the ooze from the lesions so they can't get around - not that they seem to want to. But their whole heads, combs, etc are covered in these horrible things! And they're eating very little, one of them didn't eat at all yesterday. I'm, of course, hand feeding them now. I suspect Kentucky Rooster has the wet form as his breathing is a little laboured and his nose a bit wet sometimes, but at least he can still see a bit, for now. I feel so sad for them {cry}

I know there's nothing to treat them with but is there anything at all I can do to make it easier for them until it starts to clear?

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Fowl fowl pox!

Post by jackian »

I have never heard of this . I feel a googling coming on . I see you live in South Africa . Is it common there ? I do hope you are stress free soon.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

ooh how awful, there's alot of technical info online about it but this site is a bit
easier to understand.
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and- ... index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They suggest adding nutrients to the water for the ones that are finding it hard to
eat, and antibiotics for any with the wet pox. I thought this disease was something
from the past in UK, but it looks like its still around, I dont know of anyone that's
been affected. I hope your poor chooks recover soon.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Post by wendy »

How awful.
I have heard of it. Poor little chooks.
I hope they get well soon
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
fur and feathers
Lively Laner

Post by fur and feathers »

It's fairly common in South Africa. And where I live it's hot and humid in summer, a haven for mosquitoes who are the carriers of this.

I've just been sitting with my rooster. I sat next to him on the grass to feed him and he came and settled himself down on my legs! I tried to explain to him this wasn't really macho rooster behavior but it didn't seem to bother him :D