Can I eat a chicken which died from unknown causes?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Re: Can I eat a chicken which died from unknown causes?

Post by ChickenCarol »

I should have stuck by own rule and regret jumping in now. I didn't mean to cause offence and while I understand that some people rear chickens to eat I had considered this a pet based forum and maybe was being a little over sensitive. I apologise.

I certainly would agree that it is best not to eat an animal that you don't know the cause of death as this may not be good for your health. It is good to know that your neighbour gives the chickens a good life but I am a bit wary that the chicken would be passed on to you without knowing the cause of death.

I am sorry to hear of your health problems and still stand by the feeling that it is best you don't eat this particular chicken, what ever we feel about eating the chickens that we keep. I also stand by the fact that I would never eat any of my chickens and feel that most of us probably feel the same but acknowledge that every one is entitled to their own opinions on the subject.

jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have been reading these posts with interest and feel very strongly that you should never eat any thing that is at all suspect . Why would any one be so naive?
There are of course chickens raised for eating by farmers and the farmers are not usually attached to the chickens they raise.the chickens they raise for eating are usually kept in controlled conditions , but most of us on DLT have them just for eggs and pets .
If what the lady says is true and she has had cancer, kidney trouble and goodness what else why would she risk her health by eating something that could have died of any kind of illness. She should be tracking carefully anything she eats to prolong her life .
I would have thought being a vegetarian would have been healthier.
Of course as Wendy has said she is entitled to her opinion which is noted.

Jackie .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I very much agree with your blog Annemieke. Though I tend not to say so here (because I know people won't like it) I do respect people who rear their own meat; it seems an honest way of being a carnivore.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

Whilst there are most who keep chickens as pets, Down the Lane is about leading a simpler life ...and that can include raising your own food, including meat.

I'm one of those people. I'm an omnivore - my meat doesn't come on a bit of polystyrene out of the back of the supermarket we we do everything to raise it and put it on the table. That may be too extreme for some but if they're meat eaters then I don't think they're in any position to judge....for that reason I don't see anything wrong with the question.

I agree though , I wouldn't eat anything that died "naturally" unless you absolutely knew the cause (by which time it would probably be inedible anyway).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Annemieke
Lively Laner

Post by Annemieke »

I didn't mean to cause offence

I must make clear, Carol, that I have not been offended by anyone at all. This is a discussion between sensible adults. I'm glad to say I have not noticed swearing or shouting or any of those things which these days the internet is apparently full of!
Long may DtL last.
And yes, I do realise my question was stupid ..... I thought if I cook it long enough - but there may be diseases which can survive that.
Love, Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset, UK http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I absolutely stand by my post because all I wanted was a post regarding FOOD in the food and drink section. All other posts regarding this subject are all spot on with their comments of course, but in the FOOD section because are you not all discussing FOOD!
Even you Wendy agreed with this in the first line of your post.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

So sorry, been out all day then got caught up in another Internet matter.

Interesting views and understandable differences of opinion.

The reason I cut down on some Categories was because people have a tendency to post in the wrong place.
Sometimes, especially when we had 'Chicken Health', they would post in 'Chicken Keeping' if it be just unsure of where to post or thinking it would get more attention.
It ended up with more Health problems in the Chicken Keeping Category than in Chicken Health !!.
If you see what I mean.

On the Chickens as Pets, I think the vast majority here see them as that.
There is nothing about eating self produced Chickens on the main Site but this is simply I only write about things I'm doing or things I've done.

The Forum has 'evolved' into more a Pets situation.

Whatever reason, the question was asked in good faith.
Most of us, I think, eat Chickens from the Supermarket and I'm sure respect those who prefer not to eat meat.

At the end of the day (can't stand that phrase!!) the question was asked and received what I deem to be the best answers - don't risk it.

I fully understand why some may get upset about it and maybe put in the wrong Category.

Without prejudice to anyone.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Kazgaz
Learner Laner

Post by Kazgaz »

Whenever I hear that phrase 'at the end of the day' I can't resist adding 'it gets dark!'

Sorry, nothing to do with the thread - I just can't help myself :oops:
Kaz
Annemieke
Lively Laner

Post by Annemieke »

Sorry, nothing to do with the thread

Naughty naughty! =win=
Love, Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset, UK http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com
RMAC
Learner Laner

Post by RMAC »

No. Not a good idea!