Brussels

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Brussels

Post by HilierWard »

Are they allowed to eat sprout trees and Brussels? They aren't harmful to chooks are they?

Thought I'd check - don't want to anything to harm the fluff bots xx

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Brussels

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi having read that they eat them ,I thought I would try a stalk . I cut off brussels as well 89pence cost . They use the brussels as footballs and bury them hid them in the corners all sorts of places. Just like my children. So if they can eat them they chose not to. White cabbage goes well but the green cabbage is not eaten much .Caulis are good . I chop the thick centre of leaves up into small bits and they eat that as well .Love lettuce but not to be given in large ammounts I think as up sets tums. Apples are eaten by some girl bannanas go quick also. I have seen them eat oranges aslso which I was surprised at.
Chickens pretty clever they eat what the like and avoid the things not good for them .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

A lot of people hang up cabbages to entertain them. Mine never got many of the sprouts but they pecked the green off the 'trees', and ate the peelings.

Mine wouldn't eat carrot peel and I wouldn't give potato (the green peel is poisonous and the rest indigestible or no nutritional value, according to war-time Dig-For-Victory advice). They love melon seeds and can find flesh on a rind that my teeth can't get. Same with sweetcorn cobs.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

They peck at bones to get the meat , trouble is with a dog a lot of jealousy and then bad results happen . Stick to cat food etc as goes quick ,sardines as well tomatoes . Know peas do not attract alot of attention either.
bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

My girls love a sprout stick, they peck at the sprouts until there's hardly anything left. I usually get them most weeks until the supermarkets stop selling them (we meant to grown our own this year but forgot to get the seeds until it was too late }hairout{ ) They also love cabbage but wouldn't go anywhere near a banana when I tried them with one and are a bit wary of an apple because it rolls away. The are fussy little girls )eat(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Sprouts off the stalk, one of their favourites. I have a photo somewhere but can't find it.

Chickens seem to be pretty on target with what's not good for them, they'll eat something but not something else !!

Down the Lane | Chickens and the Vegetable Patch

)t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Thanks everyone - Doh I am silly, spouts are small cabbages - and I do give them cabbage!

They are fussy indeed Kath - they only eat apples when I cut them up - they wont touch them whole!

Last summer, they ran off with broad bean pods - google said they were poisonous to chickens, so Im wary with new things.

They absolutely adore blueberries, but their poo turned an alarming colour! {rofwl}
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Broad Bean Pods?

Haven't heard of that, but they eat the cooked one's in amongst the other left over vegetables here.

Be interested if anyone else has heard this.

Richard

PS. Not silly at all Hilier, we've all been there :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

My neighbour's chickens used to eat cabbage and cauli leaves but my girls don't touch them. They are all different.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

That will be a "no" then - the sprout sticks have not been touched!
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Interesting to see what they all like or don't like. My girls won't even peck at corn on the cob but if I take the corn off then they eat it! They love all pasta, rice, noodles etc and some veg but not interested in apples. They liked the sardines I gave them the other day - had not thought of giving them meat as don't want to encourage the neighbour's dog but then if the chooks like it they will eat it straightaway anyway. They are not keen on cabbage leaves but I remember my neighbour's chickens loving them.
ChookDee
Learner Laner

Post by ChookDee »

My girls love cauliflower and cabbage, I regularly hang these up for them as a treat and to give them something to do!
Have never thought about sprouts but will give it a go and see how they get on.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mine have stripped my sprouts bare before they even developed into sprouts - if I could find sticks cheap I would get them one. Cabbages they have left but have eaten before. Mine adore lettuce and have scoffed the 2 old ones that bolted. They are not interested in apples, pity because I have loads of them! They are all very different
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi still finding brussels untouched and been in the coop for days . They just do not want to know. May cut them into small bits and mix in with cabbage . Might fool them.
Bob
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Mine will only eat apples if I peel them so you could try that. I think they find it difficult to get past the skin but once peeled they apples and pears.