Welsummers and Marans

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Intheshed
Learner Laner

Welsummers and Marans

Post by Intheshed »

Hello,

It's me again - having been a member on here for less than two weeks, it seems that I have somehow acquired the reputation of, "Very experienced chicken keeper of long standing, who will expertly answer any questions"!

My friend Brian the window cleaner, has a chicken run and coop in his garden, which was there when he moved in, ten years ago.

It's in a sheltered position, and in very good condition, so good in fact, that he stores all of his window cleaners tools and equipment in the coop.

One of his customers has 2 Welsummers and 2 Marans, each 12 months old, which live in a converted plastic bunker, and forage in a fairly sizeable garden.

They belonged to her late husband, who died a fortnight ago, and she would like them to go to a good home, so she offered them to Brian, complete with feeders, bedding, etc.

Having spent their lives wandering around a garden, will they be OK in a 10 ft by 10 ft run? [There's no room for expansion]

John

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Welsummers and Marans

Post by KarenE »

Hi John

Well they won't like it and will try to convince him at every opportunity that they'll just DIE if they can't get out but as a rule of thumb, each bird should have about 10 sq ft each so the run size should be fine. He may want to make sure there's lots of things for them to do - branches and logs to perch and hop on (height is good too) and areas for digging and cyst bathing.

Of course some breeds of birds are better at being enclosed than others - I don't know about Welsummers and Marans so may be worth checking info about them before he commits. (A quick search shows Welsummers as being active but happy in a run, Marans being lazy and prone to fat so best free ranging - I guess for the exercise! I'm sure fat lazy birds would be quite happy!)

You'll become a chicken expert in no time - it's amazing how quickly you learn )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Intheshed
Learner Laner

Post by Intheshed »

Thank you Karen, it seems that it's going to be a learning curve for the hens, for Brian, - and for me!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Completely agree with Karen.

Richard )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I can't advise you on the size of the run but I have had both breeds, my favourite being my French Maran. She had loads of personality and although top girl was never aggressive and was so friendly.
I only have one chicken left who is in fact a Welsummer. She and another that I had were very shy, gentle girls who were very happy in a small space.
As long as they have plenty to keep them occupied I can't see that your space will be a problem.
Good luck and enjoy them )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi be happier than hybrids in a cage for sure . If they give you trouble can use it as a threat ....
Sure they will be fine as long as you pay them some attention and plenty of treats and hanging food .
Bob
Intheshed
Learner Laner

Post by Intheshed »

Thank you, lot's of advice there,

Brian has read everything that you've written, and is ploughing through all sorts of information on t'internet, on one hand, he's looking forward to having some hens, but on the other, he realises that there's quite a bit of work to take on.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Honestly, give them somewhere safe to stay in, lots of straw to lay in and either straw or a highish roost to sleep on, plus lots of food, treats and things to keep them busy and they're absolutely fine. For your (or Brian's) comfort, have a walk in run with covered roof (they won't mind but you will), keep their areas clean and poo pick daily at least. Apart from when they are ill, they are really quite straightforward to keep.

The hardest thing is finding enough time to spend with them! And that is the most important thing to do, because they are such interesting and friendly birds.

If either of you have any questions, just ask - there's plenty of knowledge and experience on here to answer pretty much any query you may have )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

I,ve got 7 in 12 m2 and there very happy .

As above ....well cared for and well fed with things to do like perches etc imho they will be fine .