Do I have a poorly chicken?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
FuriousPilgrim
Learner Laner

Do I have a poorly chicken?

Post by FuriousPilgrim »

Afternoon all,

Day before yesterday, one of my hens layed what I can only describe as a membrane type substance. Almost like it was going to be an egg, but never developed. Kept an eye on her and she seemed fine. Eating and drinking as normal.

Yesterday, I collected the eggs, all was well.

Today though, one of the eggs had this membrane substance around it. Assuming it's from the same hen? It also wasn't in the box where they normally lay, it was almost like she layed it while on the perch.

Took a picture of it, hopefully it's attached. Started reading to try and find out what's wrong, but saw everything from 'it's normal' to 'it's a gonna' ☹

Any ideas?

bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Re: Do I have a poorly chicken?

Post by bmpsands »

Is she young? Old? Just coming back into lay?????
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
FuriousPilgrim
Learner Laner

Post by FuriousPilgrim »

We bought her last August, as a point of lay, she started laying eggs probably 2 or so weeks after that, say September time, as has continued to lay since then.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It looks like a soft shell - odd. Perhaps she is laying a normal egg and has a malformed one close behind, or maybe a problem with her shell making equipment. If she seems fine in herself I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on her in case things take a turn. It could also be shad intestinal lining, that comes down sometimes too although never seen quite that much!

It may be worth giving her a calcium boost. Limestone flour in her food is a good way of doing that, or oyster shell grit. And maybe a bit of cod liver oil to help her absorb the calcium.

Has she slowed down her laying lately? Or anything happened to upset her or cause a bit of stress?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
FuriousPilgrim
Learner Laner

Post by FuriousPilgrim »

That's the strange thing, the actual egg is fine, shell is hard. They have oyster shell grit already, I'll look into getting some cod liver.

We've been working in the garden the last few weekends, but they love it. Always around your feet waiting for you to turn over the soil and dig up some worms. Can't imagine she's stressed, they have the life of luxury! Haha.

We have 3 hens, and generally collect 3 eggs per day. Can't differentiate between the eggs, so we're never too sure which one is which.

When are they supposed to stop laying?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They might have a break next winter when they moult, or maybe slow down a bit.
Hard to guess how long they go on for.
But they are unpredictable.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I have never seen this in all my years of chicken keeping. I wonder if she is making too much of the membrane which surrounds the egg inside the shell.