Ex batt with red bum

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Hellychick
Learner Laner

Ex batt with red bum

Post by Hellychick »

Hi, I got my ex batts in January they are doing well but one has a red rear, it doesn't seem to bother her, she's actually a little madam, the ring leader when it comes to roaming off, but her rear just is not getting any better, there is no broken skin. Can you suggest
anything ? They are free range and have access to a large grass area, it just looks sore
I clean out hut everyday, by that I mean remove soiled areas and replace bedding. Any suggestions? Thanks

Mad Chick

Re: Ex batt with red bum

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Hellychick and welcome to the lane )wav(

Are her other feathers growing back ok? It sounds as if one of the others might be having a game of feather plucking or eating - they can be quite clever and only do it when you're not looking {warn}

Try putting some sudocreme on the red area to soothe it. Also the redness will attract more pecking so putting on some purple spray (gentian violet) or even blue food colouring should help. Also possibly see if upping their protein a little helps - feather eating is a sign of protein deficiency so it should help the culprits get their protein while the extra protein will help your bare bottomed girl grow her knickers back.

Good luck
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway