update on getting our chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chookies
Learner Laner

update on getting our chickens

Post by chookies »

So a quick update on us rehoming our ex battery hens.
I think I might have mentioned on my last post my children's school have a chicken , they originally had 6 but that was quite a few years ago so there is only one left now.
I spoke to someone who works in the school about Hetty the chicken and how much my kids love her and she told me they have had enough really as there is only one chicken left that someone has to keep going in to look after , especially when the kids are off school like the 6 week holidays .
So I spoke to the Head Teacher and told her I was looking into rehoming some ex battery hens and would like to have the coop / walk in run and would take Hetty too also in return I will give them the eggs to sell and keep the money for the school.
They seemed very happy about this and I think keen to sort it out before the 6 weeks holidays , but they want £200 for it.
It is the larger plastic omelet range with a small run extending into a walk in run so I know it's not cheap. But like I said they have had it for quite a few years and to be honest it's not in a great condition it doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned and bit like their hen too. I'm thinking of saying £100 for it all and my husband will dismantle it and take it away, I know I would give it a good scrub down before Hetty goes back in.
I've rang up my vet to ask if they are experienced in treating chickens and one of their vets is and charges £18 to look them over if they need any medication etc then more.
I think I will get Hetty checked over as her back side is very dirty, just want to make sure she is ok as I know she's not a young hen.
My question is about when I do get my ex battery hens how do I go about introducing Hetty to them.
I know they like to squabble about who is top hen and I am aware that when I get my ex battery girls they will be vulnerable and not in a great way so any advice on that will help a lot.
I'm just trying to get all the information I can before going ahead with this all.
Thank you in advance
Ali
Xxx

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: update on getting our chickens

Post by Richard »

Hi

£100 sounds good to me. A good jet spray all over when you get it home should clean it up OK.
As far as bugs go, Red Mite etc., Plastic is a lot better than wood.

I wouldn't worry too much about introducing newbies. Sure there may be a few days of the odd punch up, but as long as there's no blood being shed, they'll soon settle.

Feed time is often the worse, so do more than one feeder for them, it's usually when they're all fighting over the one that bullying happens !

I've always introduced newbies at sunset.. http://www.downthelane.net/newchicken.php

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
chookies
Learner Laner

Post by chookies »

Thank you Richard! We do have a jet wash and really wanted to get the plastic coop as it does seem a lot easier to clean and dry after cleaning to keep the red mites at bay.
I spoke to them again and they aren't happy with the £100 offer as they said they could get £400 for it on eBay, I'm thinking they might change their mind when the school holidays creep up and they have to take turns going back to the school for Hetty >ch<
And it's really not clean and new looking.
They also said they didn't think hetty would take very kindly to new Hens as she seems happier on her own.
So I called the hen rescue people to ask them and they told me pretty much the same as you , they don't like being on their own they like to live in a flock and the only time they would probably fight is at feeding times but will be fine sleeping together as they huddle up to keep warm.
I think the issue is due to money they want the £200. So I will see.
I've actually seen the omelet coops and run a lot cheaper on ebay so might not even get it from there if they are going to be petty. They don't want Hetty and have said they don't want anymore chickens as they were more than they bargained for so I'm not sure why they aren't biting my hand off lol by the way they told me Hetty is 4 years old .
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Isnt it sad, my godson"s nursery no longer wanted their bantams last year, too much worj they said }hairout{
If the eglu hasn't been cleaned I think £100 is totally reasonable.
As for mixing Hetty with ex bats there shouldn't be too much of a problem. When ex bats arrive they dont know one another I think it is highly unlikely they will be the ones who lived in the next cage to one another {rofwl} so they are all in a new place with girls they dont know so not fear of upsetting established girls. Of course Hetty will be in the same situation as them, though you will need to keep an eye in any blood if one hen is a scaredy girl and they will fight a bit to sort out their order. My ex bats soon got into their order after a few argurments it was then introducing them to the establised family that I had to be extra vigilant.
I really think this school are really lucky you are helping them, perhaps you could print off some of the eglus you have found at a better price and show them or get the better priced eglu and just take Hetty?
Please keep us informed and then of course when you have your batties and Hetty , Hetty and the Batties sounds like a good group {rofwl} you must start your diary in the diary forum as we are soooo nosey
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I would check that you can actually get the coop & run you want cheaper before turning it down. £200 sounds quite good to me if its an Omlet Cube, with a walk in run. Maybe I'm out of touch as it was a few years ago I looked for a cube, but the 2nd hand ones seemed to go for quite a bit then, and get snapped up quite fast. I spose it depends on the condition (underneath the dirt)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant