Laying elsewhere

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Laying elsewhere

Post by Bluefinch »

Over the last couple of weeks my two hens have decided to lay in the neighbour's barn. I thought they had stopped laying until he found a dozen eggs last week. I have tried keeping them in later in the morning but that doesn't seem to be working. Any tips for getting them back into the habit of laying at home? I have tried a china egg but that doesn't seem to have done the trick. May put a real egg in the coop tonight.

Will soon be putting them into a new coop and run together with my new hen. I had thought of leaving them in the run for a couple of days - they are usually free range - would that work?

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Laying elsewhere

Post by Mo »

Well they can't lay away if they are kept in. Might it cause pecking order troubles? Not sure, but the more space the less hassle.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Been reading the Easter Diaries ....
Bob
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Yes Mo I had wondered if that might cause more trouble - keeping them in. And also they may just go back to laying elsewhere afterwards.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It happens, they'll lay where they want !!!

They're a bit like Cats sleep places habits, they will do one spot for a while then move on somewhere else.

I recall getting the Lawn Mower out from it's winter break once and found 15 eggs in the grass box.
Once behind the Sofa, never knew it had been in the house.
Corners of the Run (it's a big one)
Finally, the Greenhouse.

It's not so they always lay in the mornings, so you can't think on the terms of shutting them in until such and such a time.

If they're happier and safe free ranging in the Garden, just up the searching around!
It can be quite fun :-D

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I agree with Richard that they don't just lay in the morning. My girls have been known, to not only lay in the afternoons, but sometimes just before bedtime.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

That's the thing. I think one of mine lays in the morning and the other one often much later but there is no real timetable! I have left them in the run this morning for the first time and just found two eggs but as I have three hens now not sure who laid them. Will let them out in a while and see if another has been laid.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Clever girls! Three eggs in the coop so they are now wandering around the garden along with their friend from our neighbour. Will see if they can keep it up.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well done, hope that solves it.
Mine didn't always lay in the morning, it worked it's way later each day, but if they hadn't laid by mid-afternoon then there wasn't one until early next morning.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I let them out early today as I was going out and there was one egg when I left and just found three on my return, so hopefully they have got the message.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Don't hold your breath, we are talking about chickens. {rofwl} }hairout{