Chickens suddenly very scared huddled in corner

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
goldfinch68
Learner Laner

Chickens suddenly very scared huddled in corner

Post by goldfinch68 »

I've had my four chickens just over a year. Because I live in a town where there are foxes they live in a large run. They usually come running to the door when they see me. Two days ago I heard lots of clucking, went down to investigate, saw nothing but they were huddled in one corner of the run and would not move all day. I have had to move their food and water to that end of the run because they wouldn't come for anything even grapes!
I thought that after a night in their coop they might be ok today but no, they will not move from the corner.
I am guessing a fox has scared them. Run is surrounded by a concrete edging so its fox proof. My dog has been laying near the run most of the day and they are used to her, I have been to see them and so they know we are there but they are still huddled at one end. Does anybody have any advice? Do they take a while to stop stressing and calm down? Three of them have laid this morning.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Chickens suddenly very scared huddled in corner

Post by Mo »

If it isn't a fox could it be a rat or stoat in the run?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
goldfinch68
Learner Laner

Post by goldfinch68 »

I have had a good look round the run and checked the chicken wire for any entry holes and can't see any intruders. The mesh itself has small holes which a rat couldn't get through. I will keep my eye out though just in case so thanks for the suggestion. Ive just turned a lot of the soil over and they're showing a bit of interest in scratching for worms and diving on the garden fork so hopefully they are feeling happier. they are usually so bold and it was such a change in behaviour I wondered what to do! Thanks for your help.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Thats weird, are you sure there are no burrowing holes ? Have you found any rodent poo? Really bizarre they were scared for so long
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Maybe it is not down but up you should be looking .
Birds of prey , rooks etc. They dive for cover when helicoptors fly over my house.
But it seems a visit by something has disturbed them .
As long as they are safe from harm that is the main thing .
Fox could have jumped at the wire also leaving no sign .
Dog should keep them away .
Bob