How to build a sling for my chicken?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ChickenGirl229
Learner Laner

How to build a sling for my chicken?

Post by ChickenGirl229 »

Hi everyone,
My chicken, Yoko, has been off her legs for a while. She is still eating, drinking and passing normal feces, but her legs don't work and she can't walk normally. When she does walk, she uses her wings to support her body which can't be good for them. We have taken her to the vet, but the answer as to what is wrong with her isn't clear.

I've read that because Yoko is laying down all day, it's bad for her muscles, and so I should build her a chicken sling. I've seen a design that had a piece of fabric streched across the separation of a cat box, and I'm wondering how effective this is as Yoko is currently in the bottom half of a cat box? Or will I have to make a frame? Also, how long do you leave a chicken in a sling for?

Thanks!

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: How to build a sling for my chicken?

Post by kitla »

oh dear, can you tell us anything else about Yoko? what kind of hen is she & how old? what happened to her before she couldnt walk? was she ill, or did she hurt herself? If her legs became paralyzed gradually she could have contracted Mareks. Most vets know very little about chickens, perhaps you could find an avian or exotics vet within reach that might be more helpful. If you tell us what area you are in someone might be able to recommend one.
I used to know someone who made a temporary sling for a hen once, I'll see if I can find anything about it. But I think finding out whats causing the problem is more important, a sling may help with recovery but would be unkind as a long term solution.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant