HELP! Aggressive cockerel and poorly hen

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mrsbaz
Learner Laner

HELP! Aggressive cockerel and poorly hen

Post by mrsbaz »

We inherited 11 young chickens in July last year from a friend who was given them but then found to be allergic, so we took them on. It has transpired that we have two small cockerels and one large cockerel. the large cockerel has become very aggressive to humans. He is beautiful but Im worried he will hurt the kids. What do I do? Im tempted to get rid, but who rehomes cockerels? I don't want them to go to some unscrupulous person and end up in a cockerel fighting situation. )t(

Secondly our smallest hen is not well. She seems isolated from the brood and left out. Her feathers have been plucked out on the back of her head, I suspect by an aggressive cockerel and her wings are suffering now. I haven't seen her doing it to herself and haven't seen another hen / cockerel doing it. They have a LOT of area to free range (an acre and a half). She doesn't seem to be eating well and is very light. Do I take her away from the brood and nurse her back to health or leave her in situ. I don't know what to do. }hairout{ >eas2<

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: HELP! Aggressive cockerel and poorly hen

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

First seperate ,see what she is sick of -Eating -poo .Check mites / lice . They take it out of the hen . Worms in poo.Temp and rear end large (egg bound ) .
Only way to see is to watch what she is doing on her own .
Feed her something she likes -If she is not interested vets sooner than later as they hide illness till to late to fix. Watch her weight .
Keep an up date someone more knowledgeable will be on soon for sure.
Bob
mrsbaz
Learner Laner

Post by mrsbaz »

Thanks for your reply. I was worried about separating her in case she isn't accepted upon return. Maybe separate during the day and put back at bedtime??
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sorry if this is late. You could take her aside in the morning, check her crop (should be empty first thing) and make sure she eats. Try something easy like mash, or scrambled egg (no milk). Let her back out but keep an eye on her if you can as it'd be good to observe her behaviour and see if she's being bullied or whether it's the cockerel.

Maybe separate her again in the evening to feed her again. Check her crop feels fuller. Let her back with the others overnight unless she seems ill.

How has she been today?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I would think the change of environment/new territory may have sparked of aggressive behavior with the boys. But it is also spring & (as I have noticed with my cockerel) that can bring on protective behaviour too. If you are able to pick up the stroppy boy & walk around with him that is supposed to help show him his place.
If you decide to rehome him there is a facebook group called cockerel trader which is worth joining. Do you know what breed he is?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , another reason to seperate at times (especially if illness is not known ) is to protect it from spreading to the rest of the flock .
Bob
mrsbaz
Learner Laner

Post by mrsbaz »

Hi, thanks for your replies. They all came together at the same time, so none of them are new. I have no clue what any of the breeds are, I'm very new to this and do lots of reading and try my absolute best! I don't know if I post pictures with you might be able to help?

Soooo wdecided to re-introduce Michelle, our little black hen as I have had a good look at her, her poo is absolutely fine, good consistency. Michelle is also eating and drinking, although she doesn't seem to be eat an awful lot. She seems to want to be with the rest of the hens and the Cockerels. Her eyes and comb look fine and I have examined her and she does not seem to have any mites etc

I got hold of Reg the aggressive cockerel and was going to trim his spurs but bottled it. He didnt attack me this afternoon mind. I hope he realises I'm tougher than him!! )like(
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I tried trimming my last cockerel's spurs, (as they were so long they got in his way) but they grew back really fast and twice as sharp!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
mrsbaz
Learner Laner

Post by mrsbaz »

Oh really?? I think I'm going to dremmel them because I think he is too young for the hot potato method. He is only 1!!