Eggs in run

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Talli ho
Learner Laner

Eggs in run

Post by Talli ho »

I have 4 hybrid chickens kept in the back garden. The coop we have is an Eglu go, which is recommended for up to 4 chickens and has 1 nesting space.
On a few occasions we found an egg in the run, but this is becoming more frequent now. The egg is normally undamaged so not being pushed out of the coop. Is one nesting space enough for 4 chickens? Should I create somewhere in the run to nest?
Any feedback or suggestions welcome. Thank you

p.penn

Re: Eggs in run

Post by p.penn »

I have 2 best boxes for 5 chooks (2 laying) But occasionally one will lay in the run or main coop anyway. I always think they must have been caught short!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How long have you had them?
Young (Point-of-Lay) and old hens can be more unpredictable. If the shell is not very strong it can be a sign that it was laid before it had been in the shell gland long enough and these (I found) are more often the ones laid in the run - the machine not properly in gear (well, that was my theory).
Is your run the EGLU small run supplied? If so I don't think I would make a nest. They like the nest to be dark - often wait for their favourite nest to be available which is usually the one in the darkest corner.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Talli ho
Learner Laner

Post by Talli ho »

Thanks for your response. They are about a year old now and we are still getting 3-4 eggs a day so the nesting space is in demand. The run is a 9sqm run not Eglu, and there isn't really a dark corner. We have the odd soft shell, but none of the ones found in the run have been.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

If you feel you have the space in the run, a lidded cat litter box makes a good nestbox. I have 3 in my run & my girls never lay in the coop nestbox anymore. Perhaps you could try something like a box on its side with a brick in front (so they dont throw out the straw), put near the coop, maybe put an egg in there & see what happens. If they use it then you could get something better.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Talli ho
Learner Laner

Post by Talli ho »

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea and we do have a cat box. There is plenty of space in the run as most of the day they have the garden to roam in as well as the run.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Of course, hens being the awkward birds they are, they might decide they prefer that, and queue up for that instead of the coop.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Yes Mo, probably! Although I have 3 available I usually find all the eggs in the same one!
Sometimes I've seen two (once even three) chooks squeezed in to one box together.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I believe that chickens have cross bred coocoo in them.They lay there eggs all together in the hope that a brodie will sit on them all. I find the smallest of girls with 6 eggs under her and showing disapproval when I steal them from her. She cannot lay that many at a time .
So that well maybe the reason for mass nest box sitting.
Bob