Getting hatching eggs in Glasgow (Warning - may offend)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Mad Chick

Re: Getting hatching eggs in Glasgow (Warning - may offend)

Post by Mad Chick »

Thanks for posting amrowe, really insightful and interesting.

I have several local friends who keep chickens and none of them would ever dream of taking their chickens to the vets. If it's not something that could be dealt with at home, the chicken is dispatched. I have no problem with this. I took my chooks to the vets for various things over the years (including 2 who were badly injured in a fox attack and needed general anaesthetics and surgery) as I just didn't have the stomach or confidence to dispatch them. Luckily, our vet loved chickens and never charged me more than £40 which made it an easier decision.

Have you considered trying to rehome them? You may find someone who would be happy to have a couple of older hens pottering around their garden. We have a "Hens needing homes" section on here.

BTW, I've edited your title for you.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

People feel differently about this - each to their own. I admire people who can dispatch and eat their livestock. I couldn't do it personally but that's my failing (as I do eat meat) plus I have promised my ex batts a home forever and see them as pets. I absolutely agree about understanding where our food comes from, and frankly eating better quality food.

As for your sick chickens - it sounds like your other chickens have had egg related problems, possibly egg yolk peritonitis which is treatable but frankly if you're keeping hens for eggs and meat, the antibiotics they would be on would probably render their eggs inedible anyway. Lucy makes a good point about seeing if you can rehome them - many of us take on 'retired' girls, who actually can continue to lay for a long time.

Sickness is inevitable in chickens, they have been bred to lay so many eggs it's disrupted their natural biology. The only way round this is to buy pure breeds, which are expensive and tend to lay a lot less. Having a stock of remedies in may be useful - tylan is good to have to hand, as that treats respiratory infections that can go right through the flock (vet prescribed) and knowing home based treatments for egg bound and sour crop hens. I have taken some of my hens to the vets for treatment or dispatch, and others I have let die at home (with treatment) as I knew the vets would stress them more.

It's possible your girl now just needs a rest, or perhaps she's coming due for her first moult. They will go off lay while they moult and that can be a drawn out process.

The only thing you said which I would take exception to is ducks having more personality than hens :-D You haven't met our Henpals have you?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi well done , said a good talking point.
Sure what you end up doing ,you can live with . Lots of angles pets .bussiness and eating .
It is not really the end result but the way you get to the end that counts. As for sick chickens , even vets cannot cure them most of the time.
Bob
amrowe
Learner Laner

Post by amrowe »

We have managed to dispatch and eat our hen in what seems to be a humane way. I am not sure the end result on the plate was worth the effort it takes to get it there though. I am happy to share our experience if anyone else is thinking of doing likewise, but I don't want to go into the nitty gritty in case it is too upsetting. Preparing the bird for plate probably has been the most challenging.