Feathers just not growing back

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Susan59
Lively Laner

Feathers just not growing back

Post by Susan59 »

My little frizzle Pekin bantam has no feathers on her back. Initially, I think it was a minor moult. She is the most henpecked (I have 5 hens in total) and she does suffer from being pecked at. However, it is about 6 weeks now and there isn't really any sign of them growing back. I keep trying to separate her and give her some respite, and she has extra treats of sunflower seeds, mealworms and cheese to try and boost her protein intake.
Has anyone got any suggestions, please? Maybe Laners who have experience with the ex-bats will have come across this.
I'm also a bit worried about her getting sunburnt with this spell of hot weather.

Thank you
Aspiring to early retirement - 2 children, 1 dog, 1 cat and 6 lovely chickens

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Feathers just not growing back

Post by kitla »

I would guess the others chooks have pecked out her new quills as they appeared. They will grow back eventually, perhaps when they do appear you could spray them with some purple spray, that may put the others off pecking & give the feathers a chance to come through.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

If she's laying, she may not grow feathers for a while. Extra protein is good, mealworms & sunflower seeds are good - not sure cheese is, they don't process dairy very well, so maybe swap with sardines or even eggs.
The batties can look tatty for a while, they don't seem to suffer in the sun so I wouldn't worry too much about your little bantam. As Kitla says, purple spray or anti peck spray to keep the others pulling her feathers out, if that's what they're doing.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

You could try a seaweed supplement added to her feed. Seaweed is exceptionally high in protein and contains tons of good minerals. I used to use it when we had chooks and I'm sure it helped them.
http://www.cotswoldchickens.com/organic ... -252-p.asp
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Susan59
Lively Laner

Post by Susan59 »

Thank you, all,

Some helpful suggestions for me to try!
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

One of my girls started loosing feathers in a line from her crop down her tummy a few weeks back but they don't seem to be growing again at the moment but she is well in herself. Perhaps they will just take some time to grow back on yours.
Susan59
Lively Laner

Post by Susan59 »

Thank you, all. Little Tonks seems absolutely fine, just looks a bit rough. I am adding seaweed to the feed for all the girls along with their treats. They seem to like that.

The purple spray has proved an interesting challenge. Tonks is very timid and won't be picked up, and is very quick on her feet. Not entirely successful yet in hitting the target with the spray, but just the sight of the can keeps the other girls in check for now.

Keeping chickens is more interesting than I ever imagined it would be!
bean
Learner Laner

Post by bean »

I have also read that crushed cat biscuits can help as its high in protein.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I know you are having trouble with it, but persevere with the purple spray. If chooks see bare skin, they will peck it, but the spray makes it invisible to them.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

I bought two point of lay Black Rocks a couple of years ago. They both had beautiful plumage and really stood out against my recently re-homed caged hens. One kept her fabulous feathers but the other started losing them after about 6 months and ended up looking like a battery hen for about 8 months. She was/is an excellent layer and I really think she just couldn't put enough energy into feathers while she was laying so many huge eggs. I never saw any sign of the others pecking her. In the meantime the ex cage hens had feathered up beautifully. In February this year she started on the feathers at last and is now back to her impressive glossy gorgeousness, so it was really quick once she got into the swing of it. I did give her extra protein but have to admit I was a bit spasmodic with it.
I suppose I am saying to try extra protein and use purple spray if you have any reason to think she is being plucked by the rest of the flock.
Would it work in reverse? ie giving less protein to discourage laying? I didn't think of that with my girl and it would be hard to do if you give your girls free access to their layers pellets. Just a thought.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I have seen other laners quote about using diet to change laying habits, but I don't think I'd drop protein levels if I had one that was trying to feather up. Making sure there's sun shade would help with any chance of burning. I think the purple spray helped ours recover plumage, and we gave a supplement as well (not seaweed, but think there was a lot in it). I don't know if you can manage to get a hand on her back - they normally squat down and go submissive if you do, then you can have your wicked way with the spray on fairly un-traumatic fashion.
Jac
Learner Laner

Post by Jac »

If I need to treat one who is a bit light on her toes I wait until she goes into the coop at night, watch where she goes, give her a little time to settle and then open it up and pick her up. They still try and get away of course but if you are quick you should be able to get her. The fact that they have 'gone to bed' and then the coop gets opened up seems to completely confuse them and just gives you the edge! Some might say it's invasive but i find if you are fas tand quiet then they all settle down again quite quickly.

My smallest and youngest Pekin Bantam, Madeleine, gets picked on regularly by the oldest who has gone from being sweetness and light in her youth to a regular dragon in her old age. Poor Maddie had her head bashed to a pulp by dragon Maisie and was completely bald, very obvious because she is black. On a visit to the vet I asked if the feathers would grow back and she said probably not. (I have now changed vets as I didn't have a lot of faith in this one). Anyway, after about three or four months the feathers gradually grew back thank goodness. A few grew white which I suppose is hardly surprising and I don't think they ALL grew back but most did. She's had a few pulled out again recently so I shall look out for Purple Spray - never heard of it before.