Rough thinner egg shells

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Rough thinner egg shells

Post by Bluefinch »

One of my hens has started laying eggs where the shell feels a bit thinner than normal and also the texture is rough not smooth. I think it is Willow who has also been losing some feather in a line from crop down to her tummy. The whites also seem to be more runny than normal.

Is this something to worry about and what could be causing it. She seems well otherwise and eating and drinking normally. Or am I making something out of nothing!

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Rough thinner egg shells

Post by Mo »

As they get older the shells do get thinner.
My theory is that it's partly that they can't absorb calcium so well, and partly that they have a bigger egg to cover.
Roughness - could it be that they re laid before they have been in the shell gland long enough for the finishing smooth coat.
You get more oddities with hens at the start and end of lay - modern hybrids get into gear for machine-like perfection for about a year, then are designed to be culled before problems make them unsuitable for commercial use.

I would try limestone flour (from horse supplies shop) to boost calcium, as you say it may be moult.

The ruuny white may be short term. or maybe some sort of infection.

All you wanted to know about eggs
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Thanks for your reply Mo. Will have a look at the link. They are only about a year old.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,covered , would think it is a moult /end or start of lay .
The start and end of the laying you get the most variation in the eggs . softies are the worry as the may break in side her and cause all sorts of problems .
Keep a eye on them if they are all the same age .
Let us know how you get on.
bob