Chickens and other wildlife.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Chickens and other wildlife.

Post by HedgeHugger »

So, I have a pond. My chickens free range in the garden.
Last year I had tadpoles briefly. The chickens used the pond like a floating diner and sucked up all the taddies. Was surprised, but learnt something new there.

Usually have lots of frogs and toads. Have caught my chickens inviting kermit for dinner, with the frogs as the main course. I understand that frogs would probably form a part of a natural diet, as would insects etc

My husband had to rescue a goldfish the other day!
Apparently the fat old chicken was like lightening and whipped the goldie out of the pond and streaked across the garden!
The fish have some sense now and are laying low in the water.

My chickens have been around the pond for a few years now, but this year they seem to spy it as a food source :(

Yesterday they reached new lows and committed birder (rhymes with mur.der!).
Caught one of them with a small bird dangling from their beak (luckily dead when I saw it).
Small birds and chickens have been in the garden together for years and they've never shown any interest in each other. I was horrified! Not sure why or how, young inexperienced sparrow maybe? Is my chicken just a savage or is it a common thing to eat small birds?

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Chickens and other wildlife.

Post by Mo »

Hens are certainly not vegetarian. They'll go after anything that moves.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

need I say any more? click to see ... proof ....
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I've always said they are very dinosaur like, especially when they were younger.
Was still surprised she caught and ate the bird though.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I think it depends on the chooks, perhaps ex batts & certain breeds are more apt to attack things. I also think if one of them starts it the others may copy. I used to keep an extra pellet feeder by the house, it was often visited by starlings with their fledglings & my chooks didnt bat an eyelid, they even ignored the mice that stole food in front of them.
This is Tiny the Dorking sharing the feeder with a fledgling
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Partnership , cat kills the creatures and the chickens eat them .
Fledglings that fall from nests are game. If the food is in short supply they chase the sparrows . Also boredom plays a part.Lara and Marian used to be great fisher girls but only see them eating the floating stick food.
They have a horrible side to them unfortunately ,not particular as eat each other given the chance.
Bob
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Hi all, how do you find the chickens with the pond, do you worry he chickens may fall into it, I have a small nature pond in the centre of my front garden, about 3ft by 2ft and 18 inch deep. Hoping I do not need to remove pond.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

If it's a nature pond and has gently sloping 'non slippy' edges so that hedgehogs and birds can drink and get out if necessary , the chickens should be ok.
Chickens feathers aren't particularly waterproof - as you'll see when you have a load of bedraggled looking ladies after they've been out in the rain - so if a chicken does fall in to a body of water, she'll quickly get waterlogged & can drown , hope this helps x
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Powyswales wrote:Hi all, how do you find the chickens with the pond, do you worry he chickens may fall into it, I have a small nature pond in the centre of my front garden, about 3ft by 2ft and 18 inch deep. Hoping I do not need to remove pond.

If it's a nature pond and has gently sloping 'non slippy' edges so that hedgehogs and birds can drink and get out if necessary , the chickens should be ok.
Chickens feathers aren't particularly waterproof - as you'll see when you have a load of bedraggled looking ladies after they've been out in the rain - so if a chicken does fall in to a body of water, she'll quickly get waterlogged & can drown , hope this helps x
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

My pond has sloped edges for hedgehog and birds to escape if they do take a dunking. The middle is pretty deep though.
They drink out of the pond, as do all the wild birds. Blackbirds bathe in the shallows along with the sparrows. A pond can be a wonderful thing for the birds, as long as they have that escape route.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , my pond is 6 feet deep and I have fell in it head first so that was an experience not for chickens to copy.
My girls cross the wood bars and peck at the fish food , though since my Marian died they do not take much interest in it .drink the water no chlorine in it.
They balance on the rocks .I worry about the netting though . So far no mishaps.
Natural setting and they know not to swim.
Bob