Broken egg inside chicken

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Pekinchick
Lively Laner

Broken egg inside chicken

Post by Pekinchick »

We have a broody chicken who we have been locking out of the chicken house come late afternoon to encourage her out with my other chicks. Unfortunately it appears my other large Buff Orpington decided she needed to lay an egg late in the day and jumped up on the door of the coop. I spotted that this might be the case and my husband went out to let her into the house. As he tried to get her down from the door it appears the eggs has broken inside her. I know this as there is no egg in the house and bits of yoke and white in the run. She returned to the garden like nothing had happened.
I can see a small piece of shell stuck to her rear but she is a very large fluffy chicken and not that easy to handle.
What should I do? Leave it to see if it expels on its own or call the vet tomorrow?
Hope someone can help :)

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Broken egg inside chicken

Post by KarenE »

Hi

Would you feel comfortable having a feel inside her? The worry would be that there is shell still there which could cut her, and maybe some yolk and white still. If you have seen the shell and it looks pretty intact (with the piece stuck on her rear) then maybe nothing to worry about.

If you don't take her to the vets, keep a very close eye on her over the next day or so esp her temperature as this could indicate an infection brewing and antibiotics would definitely be needed.

I think I would be tempted to take her, to ease my mind more than anything else. If there are any remains still inside her it could get infected and that could be fatal. Good luck {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Broken egg inside chicken

Post by kitla »

one suggestion - when I need to examine a hen that's difficult to hold I wrap her in a towel to keep her wings still.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant