New to chicken keeping

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Re: New to chicken keeping

Post by Trev62 »

After the corn is stripped off the cobs we then dry the cobs in the sun and use them as firelighters during the winter months, a tip received from our Bulgarian neighbours, saves on buying firelighters )t'
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Right then another question...............

Out of the five chickens given to us by our neighbour, two are quite "mature" and have been happily laying nearly every day after they settled in but the other three were youngsters. The last two mornings on letting them all out we have found a couple of broken what I presume are egg yolks on the coop floor together with some presumably very soft egg shells.

No idea who is producing them but the two "mature" chickens for some reason go to our other coop to lay their eggs during the day so we are assuming it is not them.

Am I right in thinking this is quite normal when chickens first start laying and proper eggs will be formed and laid in the coming weeks or are we doing something totally wrong for this to happen?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It does take a while to get themselves into gear. You'll see allsorts. Thin shells, no shells, tiny sparrows eggs, huge double yolkers (after a no-egg day). Then they settle down of a year or two. Then more oddities as they get older.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Till they settle down to normal eggs , watch them as this could cause the eggs to break inside and cause lots of problems . Do not recommend picking them up till hard eggs come . You get alsorts of eggs from chickens . Normally not seen as the flock eat them before you get a chance to see them.
Doing well and like all things new lessons everyday.
Keeping asking the questions , all ways help others when the read the answers later .
Bob
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Thanks Mo and Bob, advice and encouragement is appreciated.

Trev
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

So..............we now have three confirmed cockerels with another two suspected but yet to declare themselves. These questions spring to mind, I have done some internet reading but again have found contradictory information.

Can you keep more than one cockerel together? So far they all get on well, eating and sitting together.

If not there are two obvious solutions:

Re home - not really possible as any Bulgarian would offer them a home then have them in the pot or freezer within a day or two as chickens serve two purposes here being for eggs or food.

Learn how to "kill" them myself and put them in my freezer. Hard to do as they are stunning looking birds now and all have their own personalities. Now if this option is called in to play at what age should this be done? Again the internet information is conflicting so any advice would be welcomed.

Not a pleasant subject I know but hopefully someone out there has been in a similar situation and can offer some guidance.

Many thanks again
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi .
I have 3 cockerels . They get on reasonably . 34 girls to keep them busy. They do fight but as long as they have room to run away and jump up on branches etc they are ok . Can get beaten up if a stand off happens . But is that better than being eaten .
I think 6-10 girls per boy should be a good balance .
fact of life that when you breed chickens the boys are eaten . Hence do not play with your food.
Get a local to show you how to ring a chickens neck . Not difficult but should be done quick and effectively to be painless as possible.
it is one of the things you have to practise at and not be squirmish as it makes it worse .As said best get someone to assist who has done before .
Bob
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

This may not make pleasant reading for some but as we are discovering it is all part and parcel of keeping chickens. A couple of days ago a neighbour came and showed us how to kill and "butcher" (is that the right word?) one of our cockerels, so today I did our second one.

The hardest part is choosing which one from five we will keep as raising them from chicks and seeing them grow into lovely birds with individual characters also being our first chickens does not make the decision easy but five cockerels to five hens does not work!

I know it sounds callous but after learning how to do this we are considering raising some for food in our push for self sufficiency.

I also hope the above does not offend anyone.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I believe I have said some where previous NEVER PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD>
Hope it all goes well as possible .
Bob
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:I believe I have said some where previous NEVER PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD>Bob

You did )t' and I now understand why, but we were told they all were all hens!! How naive were we??? {mr.angry}

The Bulgarians are totally practical about their livestock, it is there for one purpose, food! Being "Softie Brits" we want all our chickens to have a good life whether just raised to supply eggs or before being put in the freezer, hence all being free ranging and happily mixing with our other animals and more often than not wandering into the house during the day to say "Hi". To be honest I would not want it to be any other way no matter how hard it is in the end.

That all sounds rather confusing doesn't it! :?

Really appreciate your advice and comments Bob, we have gained a lot from this Forum and members like yourself but we still have a long way to go so keep the support coming please.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , as said as well , as long as your flock have a good life whilst here , good for you .
Nothing wrong with what you are doing , if ever body did this then more veggies would get ate.
Best and jealous of you .
bob