Looking for ideas for a chicken coop

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Looking for ideas for a chicken coop

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm inclined to agree with Willow about the potential mite problem with insulated walls. Also, chickens actually do fine in cold weather - they fluff their feathers up to insulate trapped warm air close to their body, and in a coop, they huddle together for warmth. Heat stress is actually the biggest problem to be honest ... if you wanted 4 chickens or more, personally I think I'd opt for a bigger coop than the one you were looking at it.

bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We still have our original wooden coop, but because of a nasty bout of chickenitis my 4 or 5 hens has turned into 18 (most rescued ex commercial) and 5 bantams found living rough in a local beauty spot.

Our girls live in a shed with a number of grocery delivery boxes, old shelving units and a broken garden store that's missing it's door tipped on it's side. Most of the girls choose to lay in these places or on top of the spare straw bales. For sleeping/roosting we have perches at different heights but the favourite place of all is the Keter double wheelie bin store that now has 2 nest boxes and a perch. In the winter this can have a dozen hens in. During warmer weather they spread out a bit.

Good luck with the research and organising your set up. Please don't think you'll stop at 4 or 5. People seldom do.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

How about converting a wooden wendy house like this one at £62 http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wooden- ... 50-2477695
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Doesn't look particularly robust to me. I am for plastic all the way.
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

How about this coop for £36 delivered. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75-Wooden-Chi ... SwEeFVJ4uC
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think they will claim that is a mistake. Or it's made of cardboard.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:I think they will claim that is a mistake. Or it's made of cardboard.

at this moment, 18 have been sold and probably is wood albeit thin so I'd say a genuine sale.

Downside - has roofing felt (potential mite problem) and the coop is very small (always look at dimensions) - perhaps okay for bantams but too small for other breeds and certainly no more than 2 hens. Also, I'd expect delivery will be charged to Ireland but could make enquiries
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Not big enough for a sparrow!! Have you actually "googled" for manufacturers/suppliers in Ireland. Do you have Gumtree? Do you have any local recycling sites where you could ask if anyone has a plastic one sitting around doing nothing?
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

Hello & welcome Organica.... You thought that the cosy coop was a bit small. We have the exact one you showed and it's been fine for 3 chucks and easy to clean...no mites in 3 & 1/2 years. We ordered double the recommended run length and they stayed in it all of two days.. :-D . They have free ranged ever since. The coop is much wider inside than it looks from the outside. I don't think anymore than three would be comfortable though.