Broody for too long

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
JD1970
Lively Laner

Broody for too long

Post by JD1970 »

One of my hens has been broody for a month. I thought they were only supposed to stay broody for about three weeks and am starting to worry. She's looking paler and paler. Any advice about what to do? Do I leave her? Do I remove the eggs? Do I try to feed her anything specific? She's eating some layers pellets but not too keen on treats.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Broody for too long

Post by kitla »

I have a hen (Bonny) that broods all summer, this is her 3rd year doing it! Definately remove the eggs (unless you're trying to hatch them), she'll still sit on an empty nest! The important thing is to make sure she comes off the nest at least a couple of times a day & eats & drinks before she goes back. I take Bonny off & throw her some mealworms, this usually snaps her out of her "trance" for a while, she usually runs off round the garden, & has a dustbath before going back. Bonny always craves protein when she's had a long brood, so mealworms are a good treat. Also, double check around her nest for redmite, a sitting hen is a perfect breeding ground for them & enough of them can kill her. They can make her seem weak, sleepy & have a very pale comb.
You could try & stop her by shutting her out of the nest area, confining her to a separate run, or cooling her undercarriage with water/coolpacks. It works for some.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant