suspected crop

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Taunton52
Learner Laner

suspected crop

Post by Taunton52 »

We have a chicken we think my have impacted crop. She has been under the weather for a day or so. Not really very interested in anything including eating. Poo is very small amount and quite runny. My husband has felt a lump in her chest area.
On one site it suggested withdrawing food , separating her from the other chickens , massaging the area and ensuring she drinks.
Is this correct? Has anyone any other suggestions

Thank you

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: suspected crop

Post by kitla »

Her crop is slightly to the right of her chest, it should be mostly empty by the morning, when its full it is usually quite large, you could try comparing how hers feels with one of the other hens. If you still think it's compacted you can try massaging it with your hand, sometimes that can shift a blockage (long grass is often a culprit) you can try it with a little olive oil. If her crop is full but squishy & her breath smells she could have sour crop. If she hasnt been eating it could be her crop is so empty that the lump he felt was actually bone (I've been caught out by that in the past). Personally I would separate her so the others dont have a go at her, and to keep an eye on her. I wouldnt withhold food, make sure she has water & you could give her something a bit sloppy, eg wet mash, bit of scrambled egg, tinned tomatoes(and some grit of course) If you really think her crop is still blocked & you cant shift it she may need a vet to clear it.
Sometimes if a hen is ill for some other reason her crop can be slow to empty. Did she recently stop laying? is her vent sort of pulsing? does her tummy & under wings feel too hot? or her tummy swollen?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Taunton52
Learner Laner

Post by Taunton52 »

Thank you.
She hasn't any of the other symptoms you mentioned. We kept her in over night and today she's just been wandering about. She isn't eating apart from some cat food she pinched from the cat bowl. She laid but we found the egg broken so must have been very soft.
Tried calling local vets but none feel they could assist.
We have been massaging her and trying to give her water but she is not keen .
I'm worried about her being away from the others and the problems we will have if she comes through this re introducing her
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

A soft egg can make them very uncomfortable till it's laid. If she has perked up it may have been that.

If you still think it's her crop, you need to check it as Kitla says - check it has something in it at night, and it's empty in the morning. I'd be tempted to give her soft food as Kit suggests, mash or scrambled egg (no milk) so it can go down easier. But if it was the soft egg she may be fine tomorrow. If she's been separate just a day there shouldn't be a problem with reintroduceing her.

See how she is tomorrow
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Yes, trying to lay a soft egg can make them feel quite ill, if she doesnt perk up it's possible another softy is coming, they could be backed up. How long since she last layed a normal egg? I think it's worth hunting for a vet that will treat your chooks, just incase! Google "avian" or "exotics" vet, if they'll treat a parrot they'll treat a chicken!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant