One lucky disguise

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sandy
Legendary Laner

One lucky disguise

Post by sandy »

On sunday did another rescue, this time the hens were ex free range and in pretty good condition. Had a few poorlies, most of whom picked up after sitting quietly in the sick pen. One hen stood out from the rest, she had a large red comb and wattles , was huge and had spurs! We couldn't rehome her without pointing out she may be a he or a hermaphrodite. With customers collecting going well, a lot of people wanted at least 12 I phoned my friend who has a tiny small holding and she agreed to take her/him. He/she was a lovely hen picked him up for a cuddle no crowing so quite confused now. Our last customer was collecting 20 another member told him about our 'boy' and said they had no other hens now so were happy to take him. I was quite upset but at least he would be with the others he had been mingling with all day in the barn. Two poorlies were rehomes and the other one taken by a member so good result. Honestly these girls were very athletic when they were first released from the carriers in the barn the full time job was to catch them when they jumped up on the gate to escape. As the numbers went down and they had ample room they gave that up, but then we did rehome the jumpers first. One lady loved it when a girl leapt up next to the box she had ready, yes she has chosen to go home with you.
One customer did annoy me, she commented on how well feathered the girls were, she was led to believe they would be ex batties, of course the trust has to rehome the hens due to be replaced by new hens first. We did point out to her if she and the other lovely customers were not giving them a home they would be going to the slaughter.
Another satisfying , fulfilling and fun day despite a lot of hardwork also involved of course but worth it? Absolutely.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: One lucky disguise

Post by kitla »

well done Sandy! how many hens were there this time? Have you heard how Mr hen is getting on.?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Unfortunately Mr Hen went to a customer so will not know about his adventures which is why I was said my friend Linda didn't get him. There were 230 should have been 250 but 20 passed away before being loaded for transport {cry}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

We don't hear enough about the lovely caring people who give their time to help rehome chickens. Well done Sandy to you and all the other helpers. Glad you had a satisfying day. )app(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.