Serious moult!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Serious moult!

Post by grandmaeileen »

Hi everyone, not been on here for a while but I need some advice. My six girls have not been laying very well for ages, they've gone from 6 eggs a day to virtually none. They started to moult a few weeks ago, I was away on holiday last week and a friend who also has hens was looking after them. I got such a shock when I saw one girl who looks as if she's been plucked! No tail feathers, hardly any on her wings and her back only has the soft fluffy under feathers! Any advice on what I can give them to help promote the feather growth? I gave them poultry spice yesterday in their food, but it's so cold and wet here I'm worried about her. Cheers x
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Serious moult!

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, the poor little mite! On the positive side, at least she'll have it all over & done with quickly.

Poultry spice is good, she'll also need plenty of protein so mealworms, sardines and sunflower seeds are also good (in moderation, they are quite fattening). Fishy cat food if you're really struggling, and of course eggs although I'm guessing you won't have many of them!She may even scoff a few feathers down. Warm mash as well will be good for warmth.

She may be reluctant to get into a scrum for food while she's feeling sensitive and below par, so maybe give her extra supplies seperately? My experience is moulting birds tend to hang back because they can't cope with the rough & tumble of feeding.

Hope she picks up soon.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper