PLEASE HELP

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Re: PLEASE HELP

Post by amber66 »

Update on Sophie.
She was not eating again today and had a dirty bottom. Her poo was yellow and runny with formed green bits in it. She stills feels like skin and bone and was unsteady on her feet when i put her down on the floor, so i took her to the vets this morning.
He has put her on Tylan for 5 days. She is now in a dog crate in my spare room.
I am hoping she feels better as she has eaten some muesli (vet said this was ok)and grapes along with some maggots i got her this morning. I am not sure how much of the Tylan water she is drinking but i am dunking the grapes into it so at least she is getting some. Her crop looks full tonight.
If she is up to it i may let her in the garden with the others tomorrow as i am worried they may forget who she is and not accept her back into the flock.

Fingers crossed she gets through the night.
Amber.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Poor little Sophie she is having a rough time bless her, lots of get well wishes to her >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Try soaking in bread , Squirt 5-10cc down at a time to make sure she is having it . My Egg Thief is on it and eating well and drink her self . Taken 10 days . Gave her Metcam at start . Baycox and Baytril . have stopped all but the Tylan .
Make sure she eats . Sweet corn down beak . Mealworms are good for energy .
Watch her weight and crop as normal full at night and empty in the morning . (My girl eats before I get to her .
Bob
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you Bob.
I have tried her on bread dunked in the water but she won't touch it. She did eat some scrambled egg today for the first time.
I will try and get the water down her beak tomorrow as i haven't seen her drink much.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Sorry Bob. I forgot to ask, how often do you syringe water into your hen?
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

am and pm when I check her crop . but little and often . Same as food as much as you can give . Found sweet corn can be flicked in . It is only going to give her an extra chance .must eat /drink to keep organs functioning as they close down if not worked .
What ever you do is the best so if it does not work do not go blaming etc yourself.
Once she starts eating you can put food in hand and see it disappear . not pretending to eat .
Would still give tylan till happy she is drinking her self .
Bob
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

To syringe the food, hold her firmly under on e arm, then bring the syringe to the side of her beak and press gently. This will make her open her beak, then you aim low - under her tongue if you can - and squirt in a little at a time. You can squirt it 'down the wrong way' as with humans, so watch for her spluttering and coughing. Ease up if that happens, but don't worry as it's actually not difficult to do correctly.

Sorry, can't remember what you put but ask her previous owners what she ate. I'd be trying to get maximum nutrition into the things she will eat - we add poultry spice to mash, and also recently learned to add some grated garlic for its antiseptic properties. Protein now would be good to help build her up, so the scrambled egg is good and maybe you could see if she'll still eat it with spice in it.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

It is 9 days since i first took Sophie to the vets.
I had to take her back on Thursday as she had finished her Tylan but still had runny poo's. The vet weighed her and said she had gained a little weight and was looking slightly better.
Fast forward to today and things seem to have gone down hill again.
Sophie is only eating a very small amount and has only brown smelly liquid coming from her bottom.
I don't know what else to do. I want to take her back to the vet tomorrow but have sprained my ankle today and can't stand on it let alone drive and OH is at work all day tomorrow so i will have to wait until Wednesday. I think for Sophie, though it will be a one way trip.
Feeling really upset tonight.
Amber.
manda

Post by manda »

Hi Amber
What did the vet think was the issue? Is there a blockage in her gizzard (if there is that can be very difficult to clear.

Has she been wormed?

I wonder if giving her laxative would help ...clear everything through her digestive system and f there is a gizzard problem it might help shift things....only might though (a teaspoon of molasses in a cup of warm water and give that to her as her only liquids)...it will work pretty quickly. It may flush something through that's causing problems with the gut...it will definitely act as a flush.

Worming or laxatives can be a bit of a kill or cure (as with many animals) - that being said it sounds like there might be few options left....and the only sure thing is it doesn't sound like she can continue for much longer as she is.

All that being said chickens can amaze you so don't lose faith just yet.....and don't beat yourself up you're doing all you can.

If (and it's a big if) you think there would be time another option might be to send off a sample of her droppings to Retford Poultry Lab and see if they ca come up with anything....you could phone them / email for advice see what they suggest
RETFORD POULTRY PARTNERSHIP LTD
Tel: 01777 703011
Unit 5, Stirling Road, West Carr Road
Industrial Estate, Retford,
Nottinghamshire DN22 7SN
Fax: 01777 705441
Email: enquiries@retfordpoultry.co.uk
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , keep squirting fluid (tylan ) down her . It can take 2weeks plus to sort . Feed her to keep her weight on . If she has gained weight it is a good sign. She must have the meds .
Must eat .
Keep indoors if possible ,
Watch her comb colour .
Do not give up as she can still survive .
If not you have done your best .
Try giving her some energy drinks (sugar maybe in water . )
Does she still stand up on wobbly .
Tail down , wings down like crutches .
She needs to keep food in the morning in her crop . and before roosting . Check it is emptying . Massage the crop to make sure it is mixed up with the Tylan.
If you get to the vets ask for a vitamin jab for energy as well to boost her up .
Best wishes . Can only do so much rest is down to the girl.
Bob
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you for your replies Manda and Bob.
My friend has offered to take Sophie to the vets this afternoon.
I picked her up this morning and she feels thinner than ever and is unsteady on her feet. She is still pecking at her mash but i am not sure if she is actually eating any of it.
Bob she finished her Tylan on Wednesday last week the vet said she didn't need anymore as if she had an infection the Tylan she has had, would have sorted it.
Manda, the vet was not sure what was wrong with her. He weighed her and listened to her chest, which was fine, checked her eyes for bubbles and asked if she had been sneezing. Which she hasn't. I was then just told to see how things go >coc<
I can't feel any lumps near her throat.
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Panacur 3 days for tape worm E T had . Metcam for any pain relief , Baytril and Baycox plus Coxi med s .
But as always vet is the expert . Chickens have a complicated system for sure and you can not find the failure till to late . It sometimes a case of aim for everything and hope for the best.
Bob
Hope it is ok .
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I think by the time you read this she'll have been to the vet, but one of ours went from head on the table and about to expire any moment, to bright and perky on a rehydration solution - sugar water, in effect. It's worth remembering for the future just to keep them going long enough to get to help.

She didn't survive in the end, but it was a useful lesson learned. I didn't know about the molasses idea of Manda's so have also tucked that one away for future reference.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Amber how is Sophie?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Sophie was very weak and had lost a lot of weight since the last vet visit.
She was PTS last night. Devastated barely covers it.
Amber.