Help and advice please

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
marilyn1952
Learner Laner

Help and advice please

Post by marilyn1952 »

My husband is going to build me a separate coop so I can have silkies but I live in Spain would it be possible to ship eggs to me to hatch

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Help and advice please

Post by lancashire lass »

Hi Marilyn - I'm not sure if you are asking if it is allowed or are you asking for someone on this site to send you eggs?

Within the EU it is possible to send fertilised eggs but you might need to have a veterinary certificate - see Gov.uk site (sometimes these apply to large commercial scale import / export so I'm not sure if it applies here or not. You could ask the poultry seller for advice)
marilyn1952
Learner Laner

Post by marilyn1952 »

A friend of ours brought some fertile silkie eggs here with her once when she came back from the uk she brought them back in her case I think about half of them hatched but they then whent in with the rest of her chickens so the result in the end was not pure breed I had a mix baby from them she looked very much like a silkie she was black always sitting on eggs she was around 9 years old we lost her in July I think it was the heat as it was really hot she did not look ill and she was still nice and plump we just found her in the coop one morning I still miss her she was such a funny little thing
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

I can't answer your main question - no idea! - but I just wanted to check that you've considered what you'd do if any eggs hatch and they are boys? It might be a good idea to have some plans in place just in case, as there's a very strong chance you'll get one or more - or maybe even all - boys from a clutch.

Good luck with your silkies )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
marilyn1952
Learner Laner

Post by marilyn1952 »

Yes I would offer them to good homes witch I would check out first
marilyn1952
Learner Laner

Post by marilyn1952 »

I would let no animal go to a home that I was not satisfied would be a good forever home