Cheap polytunnels

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Cheap polytunnels

Post by gardenergirl »

I notice one or two of you on the facebook group saying you're getting cheap polytunnels to keep your chooks under cover till this bird flu thing's over. Any recommendations? My girls are in an electric fenced enclosure under trees, and without building something from scratch I don't know what else to do! I'm looking at a couple on Amazon, but my garden's pretty exposed and they all look a bit flimsy. Actually though, I wonder if they might appreciate being under cover through the worst of the winter anyway. They're in a windy spot at the bottom of the garden, and they definitely don't appreciate being blown about.

What do you think?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palm-Springs-2 ... CZSPP8C6KW

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006FHX63U?psc=1

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Cheap polytunnels

Post by lancashire lass »

from a gardening point of view, I have this 4M length which is not that more expensive but more space.

I haven't used the polytunnel for the chickens but I can't see why not - I've considered covering with netting as a large run should I decide not to use it for gardening when the cover fails. Go for 25 mm galvanized steel frame (anything thinner might buckle in the wind) You'll need to bury the skirt to prevent it blowing over. My biggest concern is the heat - okay in midwinter when it is cold, but sunny days can raise the temperature inside the tunnel quite significantly. If you got the 4M one, it has a zip door at each end (that is, 2 doors) so that should help with ventilation and keep the girls cool - you will need to build a proper door + frame at the ends (zip doors are not secure enough to keep foxes out and can fail through general wear and tear. Putting mesh netting round the base might be an idea as well) Other than that, I think it might be a good solution
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Cheap polytunnels

Post by Richard »

Chickens certainly love Greenhouses, so a Polytunnel would seem a really good idea.

Plus with the Avian Flu recommendations, it keeps them sheltered.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome