Avian flu

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Avian flu

Post by HenPen »

I bought some large, thick freezer bags and put those over my boots before I go into the run, then dispose of them afterward. Bit of a to-do getting them on as I put my feet into the run whilst not allowing the girls out, but they're not very brave so it's a case of so far so good.

Amber - same here. My neighbour over the road has a huge run with no roof and I have just noticed hers are still in that - well, it's not really a run so much as half the garden, and in all fairness would be extremely difficult to cover, but I was worrying about my girls if hers are infected (all properly covered over and in the run all the time here). Thanks for the reassurance LL.

Roll on the next nine days, and fingers firmly crossed they don't extend it.

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We've done everything we can to protect our girls and have covered the side of the run with a small mesh to stop the wild birds getting in and the top with clear plastic which the girls aren't keen on as it rattles in the wind. It is keeping their run drier though but not sure how long it will last. However, we were out over Christmas and saw a little girl pecking at the side of the road. When I looked closer she'd obviously escaped from a field near by where there were loads more pecking about quite happily in the open! Obviously their owner isn't bothered about any risks. Also, they were right next to a mere with loads of wild birds flying around }hairout{
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Avian flu found in Carmarthenshire back yard chickens ....
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Very worrying. I wonder how it got to them, they give no details.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

defra extended dates to 28th Feb 17.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes, sadly extended {cry} - you got there just before me Bob

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avia ... 16-to-2017
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh darn
That's a lot longer. They're not going to be pleased about this...
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Oh My Word {cry}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

KarenE wrote:Very worrying. I wonder how it got to them, they give no details.

Heard this morning that a nearby duck died with it. This new strain is not transferable to humans according to an expert on TV
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york ... re-3854160"

Seems it is popping up everywhere, hope no-one here is affected by this latest news.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Looks like it's on the move. It was inevitable really.

I found this - apparently the Welsh flock were not housed, and were quite close to a wildlife park where a duck had already been found dead.
http://www.fwi.co.uk/poultry/backyard-f ... housed.htm

I picked up some Virkon today so I can make sure biosecurity is up to scratch. My girls seem to be coming with their captivity quite well.

Awful stories coming out of France about the culling of ducks and other flocks over there {cry}
Karen
GoldBerry
Learner Laner

Post by GoldBerry »

Got da Henz under cover since December. They weren't impressed at first, but they'd be even less impressed if they were culled. It won't kill them, so under they stay, with a tarp over the top. I'm going to move where I've been feeding the wild birds as well as their feed station is still out back. Needs to be in the front I think, to cut any possible contamination.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Now they've got it at Abbotsbury swannery https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ery-dorset

Last time round it stayed on the Continent more (and in intensive farms that imported birds from the Continent)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi latest . Lancs out break 24/01/2017 . Amazing sick birds can fly so far in land and then spread the germs ./
Bob
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

19,500 strong turkey farm just up the road from us near Boston have the virus now. Apparently some have died and the rest will be humanely destroyed.