Avian flu

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Garden_Witch
Learner Laner

Re: Avian flu

Post by Garden_Witch »

It's so sad, poor things. Very worrying as well for chicken people.

Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

I agree it is a worrying and nervous time for everyone involved with keeping birds but I wonder.........if............an establishment that "should" have all the latest relevant safety measures in place still can have its stock become infected are these measures actually effective?

Just thinking out loud.....................

:? >coc< :?
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have wondered that too, Trev, but on the other hand you only need one infected wild bird to get in or someone from outside to transfer poo to inside I suppose.

I have heard that it is up to a 5k fine if you don't cover/keep your birds in Is this fact does anyone know or just a rumour?

Loads of people round us and also round Louth that had an outbreak the other week are still letting their birds run free.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Defra UK 5000 pounds fine and or 3 months in prision . On the site ..
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lincs seems to be getting more than its fair share of outbreaks, isnt that the 3rd turkey farm affected? In the article I read about the big 2015 outbreak in USA they studied the patterns of wild birds & the direction of virus spread across the country & concluded it was mostly spread by people that worked on/visited several farms, rather than wildbirds.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi got a mention on radio 4 farming this morning , how it is spreading , Government dealing with it and causes ! No plan on changes for Feb yet.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I listened to that Bob (if it was the same one) I thought the woman interviewed sounded like she expected an extension. If it goes beyond the 28th feb date then eggs can no longer be labeled as free range, which the f/r farmers aren't happy about, so they will probably push to lift the ban.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Trouble is what would make the situation different . Free range eggs against dead chickens .
troubling times for all . Price of enhanced eggs should go up to compensate for the loss of extra revenue of free range .
All the packaging on products would have to change -Mc D would have to change their adverts and boarding as an example.
It would go on and on . Cost millions of pounds .
OR IMPORTS .....
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi an up date East Lindsey Lanc`s has 3 flu all connected separate areas , latest was 30.01.17 (24 and 27th previous) ,
Still looking like a problem not going away.
Bob
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I worry that this is going to be an 'excuse' to go back to caged birds again. I certainly hope not.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I think it might be worth considering what would happen if the restrictions had not been in place from the start - instead of a few isolated cases, there would now be several farms affected all at once. Instead of worrying about free range status being affected, the situation could be far worse such as an all out ban on sale of eggs or meat from large areas (that could be seen as movement of potential infected biological material) and a disease that will be around a lot longer - I remember how devastating the foot and mouth outbreaks were in 2001.

Yes, avian flu is carried by migrating birds so when they go back (hence, don't be surprised if the restrictions stay in place until well into spring), the problem should diminish. If on the other hand precautions had not been put in place, the infection would no longer be just a migratory bird problem but here to stay. The end result would most likely be a mass culling of a lot of poultry, all out sterilization programme and a fresh start up with disease free birds.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I agree with what your saying to some extent, LL, but round here in Lincolnshire there are hundreds of gees, chickens, ducks etc that are still free ranging with no one apparently listening to the word of DEFRA. Having had interaction with DEFRA before this Avian Flu I honestly dont think they will be able/willing to police smaller poultry people. So I think this area will get more and more outbreaks to be honest.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Is Lincolnshire any different from other areas.
Transport of feed and other vehicles are also spreading it about , Have not the answer but I am more concerned with the returning spring birds from south .
Bob
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

No I don't suspect Lincs is any different from anywhere else, just that I live here. I am being told by a friend up in Lancs there are lots of people not heeding the word too.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , DEFRA UK have up dated information .
I have copted the continuing restrictions .
High risk area.
Suggest people look it up as lower risk areas can have under conditions reduced restrictions .
Thames and East coast .
If I lived 8 miles away I would be out of the area .
Bob