Is it best to rehome chickens together?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Taunton52
Learner Laner

Is it best to rehome chickens together?

Post by Taunton52 »

We recently lost one of our chickens which leaves us with 2. Our circumstances have changed which makes keeping chickens increasingly difficult. I had decided that i would not have anymore once these 2 sadly pass. I am aware they are flock birds so when the next one goes I had decided I would try to re home the remaining one.

My question is would it be fairer on them to try and re home them now together or doesn't it make much difference

Thank you

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Is it best to rehome chickens together?

Post by Richard »

Hi,

A difficult one.

Personally I would find a home for them both now.
Also, three is better than two.

I say this because I was in a similar situation, I went from 7 down to 2.
Then one of those died and it left me with one and I have to admit I felt (and still do) somewhat guilty about it.
I did ask a few people locally if they would take her, but all said they couldn't.

Chickens are not loners who like their own space and if you see one on it's own you'll see the behaviour is quite different to those in a flock.
One can relate it to cats and dogs.

Others may disagree, just my synopsis.

Richard

PS. My last Chicken dies about 10 weeks after the next but one. I don't think it was related though.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I would agree with Richard. I always add to my flock two at a time because I believe it is easier on the incoming girls not be alone but to have a companion to help with integrating into the new environment.

I think it is the same the other way round and I have re homed girls in the past due to circumstances and did it two at a time. They settled very well in their new home and on visiting them I have always found them still very much together. It can't always be done two at a time but I feel happier about the girls when they are not alone dealing with new surroundings and a new flock.

Good luck with whatever you decide. We can only do what we feel is best at the time.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I agree, in my experience 2 chooks will often "bond" which is helpful when they're put in with a new flock. You may find it harder to rehome them at the moment though, with the defra restrictions in force
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant