Introducing a single chook

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Introducing a single chook

Post by gardenergirl »

This is a similar question to the one posted in the thread below regarding rehoming 2 chickens together.

I had 5 chickens - a rescue hen, 2 cream legbars, and 2 pekin bantams. Last Sunday I lost one of the little bantams (details in Buzzard thread). I got her and her sister (along with the legbars) in October at an auction at the local mart. They were classed as pullets and I still haven't had any eggs from any of them, so I think they were younger than I'd thought they were. Anyway, the bantams used to stick together like glue, and since Puffball died, her sister Pingu seems very miserable. She stands there on her own and doesn't mix with the others (the two of them never did to any great extent), and she's stopped 'speaking'. They used to chatter all the time, and now she's quiet. I feel awful for her, and would like to add another pekin to keep her company.

I'm not sure I have room for 2 more, 5 hens in total seemed a good number for the space I have, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to introduce 1 chook alone. I was thinking I could keep her in the house for a while and introduce her slowly under supervision. Or take Pingu away from the others for short periods and introduce the two of them first? And I'm wondering whether I should be looking at one around the same age as Pingu (Point-of-Lay or younger), or whether younger, or older would be better?

I don't really know what to do for the best, and I feel awful because I'm twice to blame for Puffball's death. The two of them were lovely together {cry}

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Introducing a single chook

Post by KarenE »

Hi

I'm so sorry to hear about your little Puffball. It sounds like an unfortunate series of events which you couldn't have foreseen. Please try not to beat yourself up about it (I know that's easier said than done)

I've only ever introduced single hens to other single hens, never to a group. The current lockdown arrangements will be making everything more complicated, including intros. You could maybe separate off Pingu and a newcomer, maybe if you can divide a bit of their run off so they can still all see each other so they don't forget Pingu. Get them all sleeping together though. That might make it doable. I'm not sure I'd fancy adding a little bantam directly to 3 big girls without separating her for a few days at least and giving her Pingu to bond with would be good I think.

I would say go for a similar age or younger but not a chick.

Good luck, and try to look forward intstead of dwelling on what happened with Puffball {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

As Karen says above, so sorry to hear about your little girl. I would be inclined to add two bantams as they are so small that two don't really take up much more space than one and if you lost one in the future you would be left with one once more if you only add one.

I had a similar situation. I have a bantam flock but added two seramas which are only half the size of my other bantams. They are the smallest chickens in the world. I refer to them as little girls and the other bantams as bigger girls. I then lost one of the seramas and like you didn't want one little girl on her own. I added two more seramas and as advised above I mixed the three little girls straight away and then introduced the three little girls to the bigger girls. This worked very well for me. As it happened I then lost the other serama and now have only the two newer ones.

I am going to add another two seramas in spring as I don't want one to be left on her own if ever I lost another. Once again I plan to mix the little girls first then introduce them to the bigger girls. Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck with it and happier times ahead. Let us know how it goes.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have only ever introduced two new chickens but one of the two has always been bullied. How ever many you get they need to be kept separate during the day but still need to see each other in order to get them familiarised. Maybe let the little one that you think needs company spend time in with the newby. You then introduce them gradually to the rest. Good luck )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

HI it is mostly to do with space . Pecking orders will always happen. If a lot space they can avoid each other but in a confined space they have no where to go. May help to put cardboard boxes and other objects for them to dive behind etc.
Best of luck , I do not like to watch them sort it out . Surprising my little goldie ,I was told was a scare-dy cat , but now stands up to the biggest and gives more than she gets for sure . Character building.
Bob
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

It's funny, I was most worried about the two little bantams in with the others when I first introduced them all, but they used to stick up for themselves no bother! They were feisty little balls of fluff, and would launch themselves full into the face of anyone who got too close. The legbars on the other hand were and are complete push overs! I've never had such flappy, jumpy chooks before. They seem to be bottom of the pecking order for sure!

I'm still considering what to do for the best, especially becuase of the confined space at the moment. Thanks for the advice :)