rehomes cancelled

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sandy
Legendary Laner

rehomes cancelled

Post by sandy »

Unfortunately all the batties due to be rehomed this month will be going to slaughter as we are not allowed to transport them {cry} Quite honestly hens that have been totally enclosed are the least likely birds to have contact with avian flu, they go into crates almost immediately , are then confined to a barn or other out building and then taken to various homes when they would be exposed to wild birds if their new owner didn't protect them!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: rehomes cancelled

Post by KarenE »

It's terribly sad, and I think so unnecessary.

I honestly don't get where we are going with all this. If it's in the wild bird population then does that mean they'll never be allowed out again? And what about when the spring migrations start? Because if it's already here we can't eradicate it.

I also don't get how backyard flocks can spread the flu to commercial flocks either.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
wendy

Post by wendy »

{cry} {cry} {cry}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I dont get it either, I can understand banning the shows & things, but honestly the person in the next house that doesnt keep chickens can spread the same germs on their shoes from the wild birds as I can from the chickens. So long as the commercial flocks take measures to protect their flocks I cant see why it makes any difference what we do. As far as I can see avian flu pops up every year.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

News just in of a new outbreak on another turkey farm in Lincolnshire (unrelated to December's outbreak) {cry}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi I think we are missing the point .
We are told to keep our flocks inside and covered to protect your hens and cockerels.
I think if you lost all your flocks just for letting them free range you would blame yourselves terribly.
I have said it is a case of freedom for the ir rest of life against a death that possibly could be avoided.
I am also concerned this may become a way of life . Shows etc cancelled -done by video links.......
Future not good .
Large runs will be need ed and back gadens covered ....
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bob I appreciate that we want to protect our chooks from the virus & are happy to keep them in for a while for that. But I'm sure the restrictions are to prevent spreading the virus to commercial flocks not to protect our own. I just wonder why these restrictions are so much tougher this time than in past years when avian flu has been around, perhaps there're concerns we're not being told, could be it's us they're trying to protect. >coc<
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Hey Sandy, I've had email update from homes 4 hens that the rescue in Scotland is still going ahead (but scaled down) They said its ok for collection points not in virus affected areas.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Now here is a question . No answer probably.
Immingham Docks -Holland crossing .
Out break today about /with in 20 miles at a guess .
Now it may have no bearing on the docks as wild birds not tyres .
But if it was a real concern then the docks would do the same as foot and mouth out break and put disinfectant bowls /straw to run over before leaving and entering the docks .
As they have not put any restrictions etc. can only believe that it is wild bird carrying only . If that to was the case then why wash boots / biosecurity on the runs coops etc.
So something does not ring true on the way it is being dealt with.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I came across this article about the last big a/flu outbreak in US
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/maga ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I thought it was quite interesting about how it spread.
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just a thought on this Avian Flu and re-homing not being allowed at the mo.

Does this mean that when the ex batts are no longer they will not be able to re-stock? After all if you cant transport chickens then you cant transport them, eh? Or will it be one rule for the commercial and another for everyone else, I wonder.