Home made dust bath for indoor hens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
unicornleather
Learner Laner

Home made dust bath for indoor hens

Post by unicornleather »

Home made dust bath for chickens

This is for anyone who has the same problem of chickens indoors needing a dust bath.
If you have the same stuff lying around as I did and you can sew/glue things together this is easy to make.

Today I decided to make my chickens who are in the barn a dust bath, whilst they are stuck indoors I've been using trays and all sorts but it gets messy in there as they spray it all around.
I took an old builder's bag I had in the basement and using scrap textiles (of which I have lots) made a door in the side with a "curtain", on the ends of the curtain pieces I sewed on looped tape (soft velcro) and on the top under the flange round the bag I sewed on the hook tape (rough velcro) so to train them to use it I can have the curtain up out of the way until they get comfortable going through the door then I can slowly lower the curtain pieces one at a time until they freely go though it. Inside the bag I have put some soil out of their old dustbath and will buy some new sand to boost it up.
To hold the bag up right I used some baling twine and hooked the lifting loops on the bag on to hooks I had screwed in to the roof. The bag should contain most of the sand/soil etc they like to throw around!
Cost next to nothing to make as I had everything to make it.
Took about an hour in total, hope it helps people make their own.
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Home made dust bath for indoor hens

Post by Richard »

Very good - like it !

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Good idea!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Brilliant!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

How ingenious! clever you.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Patent pending....
Love it .Good for outside . My girls spread sawdust everywhere and would save replacing it . Could also reduce the height as well/ make more manageable . Digg into ground to make it low level, lid it in the rain Very good idea and practical adjustable . What not to like .
well done .
Bob
Is this the way humans evolved by some one having a problem and then going out and fixing it.
unicornleather
Learner Laner

Post by unicornleather »

Thank you for all the thumbs up!
Oz