Advice please

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: Advice please

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good morning Amber. As you have had your new girls for just 2 weeks, I still think that it is early days. When I got Lily a couple of years ago to keep Ruby company, I was told by the very experienced chicken keeper where I got Lily from that it usually takes about 3 weeks before they begin to settle with each other. Obviously there are no hard and fast rules as some integrations go smoothly and quickly, others take longer. I think it will help when they can free range in the garden again as they will be busy doing other things and forget their grievances. Don't give up hope, it will happen. Mary was terrible with my two new girls for 2 weeks and she never shut up. They are all the best of buddies now. Good luck.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Amber

Yes I think Cheshire Chick is right. It's still early days, just keep doing what you're doing. Being confined doesn't help but there's not much to be done about that. Keep at the water pistol, maybe you need a stronger one - I find a good strong squirt usually startles the culprit but you do have to keep at it.

Someone on here used to recommend putting a few cardboard boxes in the run, give them something to hide behind. If you've got room, maybe try that? Out of sight out of mind being the theory.

I assume you've got plenty of food and water stations?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello .
Thank you Karen and Cheshire Chick for your replies.
They have lots of feed stations and water pots so are at least getting food and water. I also throw in corn and sunflower seeds twice a day. There are a few hiding places for the new ones.
I will keep up with the water squirting and hope eventually she will give up.
The new girls do seem a little more settled and run out of her way, at least at the moment there has been no blood drawn!.
Amber.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It works out in the end, though it is only after several months of tolerating each other but going their own ways that you suddenly see 1 flock striding out together rather than 2 groups.

Then maybe you only notice the pecking order when you throw them some treat - one of mine fiercely guarded the ants nest I gave them, I didn't know she was boss till then.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire