Greenhouse conversion

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
madd1973
Lively Laner

Greenhouse conversion

Post by madd1973 »

Hi,
I am looking at getting some chickens again and was wondering if anyone has converted a greenhouse?
I think I could take out all the sides and replace with wire mesh and either shade the roof or just replace with mesh too. I would put the coup outside the greenhouse for ease of cleaning and collecting.

Any thoughts?

Cheers Alex
Alex

3 Black Rocks Hens 3 Light Sussex

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Greenhouse conversion

Post by lancashire lass »

it's a brilliant idea )t'

As for the roof, I'd probably keep the glass in as it will keep the rain out, but perhaps you could shade it (I have corrugated clear plastic roof over my run and in summer does act like a greenhouse so I use foil backed bubble wrap and other means of keeping the sun out as well as make sure all the sides get good ventilation) Depending on size of greenhouse and available run space, you might find keeping the coop inside the greenhouse means better security for the hens, and also keeps it dry from the weather. But if having the coop outside means more run space, then that might be the way to go
manda

Re: Greenhouse conversion

Post by manda »

I'm sure many moons ago Steve the Gas had a greenhouse as an extension run....he left the glass in and used the vents to keep it cool in summer and it was warm in winter.
I've tried to find a picture but I can't ...I'll keep looking :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny