Shucks! Chooks!!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Maisie23
Lively Laner

Shucks! Chooks!!!

Post by Maisie23 »

Well, hell in a handcart. Am speechless. Got a phone call at 9am this morning, farmer is turfing out all chickens, be there or be square.....

Never ever thought it was that cut throat but we were ready, thank goodness, I quickly threw some straw in the dog carry cage, grabbed a towel and off we went!

Long story short, arrived home with three terrified, stock still chooks, quickly picked them out of the cage and put them into the hen house. Food and water outside but in view. Never even got a look at them apart from being surprised at how many feathers they had.

That was at 12 noon. No sound for half an hour, then a few bangs and scrabbles. At 1pm Jemima poked her head out. She came out very gingerly, seeing her crane her neck to look at the sky actually brought tears to my eyes.

Fast forward another hour and Marjory stuck her neck out, then just jumped! By then Jemima was scratching and looking at a worm like it was an alien.

Fast, fast forward to three hours later, after lots of banging, scratching and chook sounds, Dottie appeared, preceded by ALL of the bedding!

So many points to mention but firstly, they all have so many feathers, Jemima is the most plucked, mostly tail and top of breast. Marjory is nearly full feathered, few bald patches, Dottie is in between.

They are already showing personalities- Jemima is the brave Street kid who is actually bottom of the pecking order, Marjory is biggest and most vocal who goes with her own thing, and Dottie, last out, is so totally top hen, by far.

Managed to get leg rings on Jem and Marj before dark but Dot learned that running under the hen house saved her from being picked up. Shall grab her tomorrow, I will not be out smarted!

Hubby is now showing his softer side and struggled to clip the rings on while I held them (yep I did some kissing too) frightened to hurt them I think.

Anyhoo, nobody went to bed on time, I just came in to post on here and two we're still out, hubby has checked since I came onto the pc and locked them in for the night.

New day tomorrow and you just know I won't sleep!

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Shucks! Chooks!!!

Post by KarenE »

And so it begins :-D

It sounds as if you've got yourself a right bunch of ex batt personalities there. You will adore them, and will soon learn to do their every bidding.

They will reward you with eggs, and poo, and affection.

Now, as you officially have chickens and are on DTL, there are 2 rules you must obey...

Rule 1 - start a diary
Rule 2 - post pictures

Break these rules at your peril {warn}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Maisie23
Lively Laner

Post by Maisie23 »

Thanks Karen!

Don't currently know how to do either but I'm sure I will work it out, got lots of photos today, very blurry and quite a few of the fence while I was blowing kisses at the chooks, I hope I get points for trying!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

>ch< >ch< >ch<
Jemima, Dottie and Marjory welcome to freedom! I cant wait to hear their adventures, tomorrow would be a great time to start your diary!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

You get points for rehoming your girls :-D

Diary - go to the chicken keeping diary section, start a new topic, give it a cool name and start posting )t'

Speaking of diaries, I'm sure the Henpals would love to hear from Jemima, Dottie and Marjory on their diary too :-D

Photos - bit more complicated. You need a photo bucket or Flickr account first. There is a post from Richard about how to do it but I can't find it... basically, upload into photobucket, select share and copy the img link, paste into your forum post.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,A tale that has been done so many times , but always brings a smile and reminder to my start of chicken keeping .
Hope you have a long happy slavery to 3 lovely sounding chocks.
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Well you've done it now, that'll be the end of everything else you ever wanted to do )t' The days will just fly by while you sit in the chicken run in wind, rain, snow just because you don't want to miss a minute of what they're doing )like( and even the hardest of hubbies will be there by your side even though they say they're not that bothered {rofwl} Enjoy your lovely girls, they'll give you hours and hours of entertainment (plus lovely eggs hopefully) xx
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx