Worried

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Worried

Post by amber66 »

Hello.
Mollie has just laid what i think is a lash along with some white foamy liquid. I have washed her clean and now she has taken herself back to the coop.
She has been laying ok but some of her shells are thin. I have some limestone flour to mix in with the feed but would that be a problem with the younger girls as they have only just come into lay?
Should i be concerned with Mollie or is it just a blip?
Thanks.
Amber.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Worried

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , If she is a older girl (ex working ) she maybe coming to the end of her laying and not doing the egg thing well.
Do what you are doing and keep an eye on her.
Hope it goes all ok .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber, I had a bit of a blip with Mary (my older girl) and I put it down to her coming back into lay. She hadn't laid for a while and then went really "off". She was very quiet and stayed in the nest box.. After about a week she laid an egg again and perked up (and touch wood has been fine ever since). I do think it affects them when they go "off lay" and then start laying again. Mary doesn't lay every day like my younger 2 girls, just every so often and sometimes her shells are thin. I use Limestone Flour sprinkled on their food and I think this does Mary some good. Obviously they all eat the same so the younger girls get some to (whether they need it or not!). I am sure she will be fine in a day or so. These chickens really keep us on our toes, don't they?
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you for your replies.
Mollie has not stopped laying just slowed down a bit over winter.
I will keep an eye on her.
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

The vet told me the lashes are pus sile} & caused by inflammation or infection. If she shows any signs of illness she may need ab's, but hopefully the lash was just her body getting rid of the problem. There's a good article here
http://thefrugalchicken.com/lash-eggs-salpingitis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you for the information Kitla.
She seems back to her normal self today and even laid a good shelled egg.
Her poo's have been a bit runny of late. They were wormed a few weeks ago and the others are fine so i don't think its that. I expect she is just getting old. I think she is about 3 now.
Amber.