Rosie so destructive

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Rosie so destructive

Post by albertajune »

As Rosie is my last chicken left, I have given her the run of the garden. She loves it and likes nothing more than to follow me around when I go to do a bit of work and to be honest, keep her company. The only problem is that she is so destructive, especially with eating the rose leaves. Luckily my three favourite roses are close so I have put trellis around them to keep her away BUT she has found a way to get her head in and peck away. I have now had to hang fleece on the trellis to stop this until they get a bit bigger. She is then welcome to the lower leaves but I just wish she would enjoy the treats that I give her more. She is a lovely girl and does like the company of me the cat or the dog and will get indoors if she can.
I would never have believed that my garden which I love would ever come second to a chicken. What love puts up with!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Rosie so destructive

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, bless her and you. Did make me laugh though if I am honest.
Do you have a piccie of Rosie?
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I have found that my girls don't like herbs, against self seasoning I guess :) , so Sage and Rosemary are safe bets. They also keep the chives trimmed, but not devastated.
Any flowers that were there, are no longer, they even eat the yellow flag growing in the pond.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mine are the same with herbs, except for mint which they have eaten down to the ground. This plays havoc with my Pimms habit every summer! Mine also quite like eating rose petals, more then the leaves.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Now I have chickens again I have changed my mind about a flower bed - will just stick to shrubs. I was going to move my herbs into a high planter but interesting to see what you say Hedgehugger so maybe I won't have to although chives and parsley will probably turn out to be their favourites!

Poor Rosie - she obviously loves Rose leaves.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So lovely that you have got chooks again. Apart from the shrubs that are already in my borders, I put all my summer bedding plants in pots now and keep them in the borders. They might have a nibble at them, but they can't dig them up completely. I have found this works really well as I have some summer colour and happy girls. Good luck with your chooks.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry just realised that you have your Rosie on her own. I totally agree with you, I love my garden to but the girls come first. Have you any thoughts about getting Rosie a couple of friends?
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I'll send you my bonkers Bertha and she will help Rosie. Like my Bertha, Rosie sounds quite settled on her own. Bertha is now 7 and has come back into lay. She is a crested Legbar and pushes out an egg about every other day. I never dreamt she would lay again but I said that last year as I thought the move and then losing her 2 mates might upset her....not Bertha.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Cheshire Chick wrote:Sorry just realised that you have your Rosie on her own. I totally agree with you, I love my garden to but the girls come first. Have you any thoughts about getting Rosie a couple of friends?

As I will be 80 in June more pets are out of the question.Rosie is very happy wandering about especially as she was at one time the lowest chicken. Now she can do and eat what and when she likes.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Sounds a lovely little character who would fit in well with two of our young ladies, these particular two totally destroyed the herb garden we planted up this year even though we thought we had chicken proofed it! Now on the second planting with most things under water containers to encourage some rapid growth and improved perimeter security but the resourcefulness of these terrible twins knows no bounds and we still on occasion have to physically remove them! Dill, sage and thyme seem to be their favourites though the thyme is also used as a seat while they happily peck at anything else within reach!

Strange how all the others seem to know this area is forbidden to them but these two........................ }hairout{
"Not all those who wander are lost"