Chicken house waste

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Chicken house waste

Post by Bluefinch »

What do you all do with the straw/poop etc out of the chicken coop. Do you compost it all. I can't remember what I did last time!

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken house waste

Post by KarenE »

I compost it - rather randomly at the moment, I just toss it into a corner of the garden where the girls dig it over and compost it down for me. I also put some in my compost daleks too but not too much as you need to balance the brown and the green

The composted wood chips that were in the girls run went straight onto my veg beds in Feb, it had composted down beautifully )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Thanks Karen. I will do the same. I have an apple bin behind their house where I put all compostable kitchen waste/plant waste and the girls have a dig through for the worms and snacks and there is also useful corner behind that where I can put the coop waste. I think that must have been what I did before.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Similar here, all the waste (together with the rabbit waste) is put on whatever vegetable bed is empty then dug in several times during the course of the year, works a treat together with the mole hill soil it helps break up the clay that our land consists of.

We also use it to provide warmth and weather protection over the winter, stacking it on top of the rhubarb and raspberry canes etc. it protects them and gives them all a good start every year.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I have a new place to get rid of it .
Chap at work is planting , apple , plum and pear tree near the river on rock base . Needs soil , compost and any materials that rot down . As much as I can bring in the van . I am now digging up at least 6 inches of the garden which thanks to the girls has raised since I had the girls / boys. A few dump s take garden waste but some do not take animal waste ... yet cat litter goes in dustbins etc. .
Join an allotment and take it there. Bag it and leave out the front . Pound a bag . It will go ,if you get money it is a bonus .
Hope it helps .
Bob