I am going to have chooks again

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: I am going to have chooks again

Post by Cheshire Chick »

That does sound very exciting. Bet you can't wait to get them home. Your grand-daughter has chosen some beautiful names. I will look forward to the photo's (so I can have a nosey at your set-up as well!!). )like(

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

LOL Cheshire Chick.
We are picking them up on Sunday as Terry, my OH and my daughter have really worked hard and fast to complete everything. Just a little bit more of the wire to put up, perches to be made and that's about it. We even have two dust baths for them, one inside and one outside.
I collected some food today, it was another excuse to see the chooks. They are still on Growers pellets, so will keep them on that until we start getting eggs. Have been told that while they are on growers we will not be able to eat the eggs, but that is not a problem.
I am getting really excited now.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

My seven ladies arrived yesterday. All seem to have settled in well, not even too phased about Teddy, but he has been to see them quite a few times before they came. Photo's have been taken, daughter could not get onto photo bucket yesterday, so will have to wait to post till next time she comes, should be this next weekend.
They have flown onto the outside perch, climbed up the tree branch and sat on top of the wood stumps and had dust baths, but not in the dust baths provided....they found/made their own. They even put themselves to bed last night which I was very pleased about as two of them are quite small and brownie coloured, so would have been difficult to find.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Lovely news! I bet they are having a wonderful time already

About your photos - youi won't be able to use photobuicket any more, a few months back they stopped letting people share photos with forums unless you pay an extortionate monthly subscription to do so. Stupid business model on their part! So if you want to show photos on the forum, you will have to use another provide instead. Lost of us are using imgbox now - they are free and much easier and quicker than photobucket was.
https://imgbox.com/
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

They sound like very well mannered young ladies Gwen :-D
We really miss our girls
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

They do seem to be enjoying things Karen, a bit like small toddlers, just curious about anything and everything and it really is lovely to see.
Thanks for the info re - photo bucket, will tell daughter when she next comes.
Not wanting to jinx anything Linda, but they do seem well mannered, but we will wait and see.
Not sure if you are aware, but I said I was not having anymore chooks, but missed them so much I changed my mind.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

The magnificient 7 )like( so glad to hear you have got chickenitus back again.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Chickenitus, so that is what you call it, Sandy. LOL
I keep changing my mind from Cluckingham Palace and Cackleberry Inn for the name on the coop. Have to get my head round doing the sign though and so far inspiration is not my friend as yet.
Just to add I have got some small plastic balls coming as I have heard that they play with balls.............................now you all think I am totally mad............................yes?
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

It's all good news Gwen - so glad your chooks have settled in so well and you sound as if you are really enjoying them. They do prefer to make their own dust baths, mine make holes all over in their run. Be interesting to see how they go on with their "play balls". If I put anything at all new into Rose and Violet's run they run a mile. Anything new or moved in any way is very dangerous - they think. Look forward to your photo's.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Def Cackleberry Inn )like( Balls? {rofwl} {rofwl} I bought my first two girls a little ball, that was 9 years ago, it sits faded and unused still……..
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I'm with Sandy regarding the name Gwen I havn't heard that one someone has all ready got Cluckingham Palace sorry I can't remember who :-D
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bob's got Cluckingham Palace although there's nothing stopping you from having it too! I like Cacklebury Inn too. Or Cluck Hall?

The only ball mine have played with is the treat ball, which they love but usually gets monopolised by the cleverest one who figures it out first! Definitely need to see photos of your girls playing clawball
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Great news about your chooks Gwen )like( I expect you will have lots of fun with them!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks guys.
Well the 'ladies' now have another outside perch and also a home made swing. Clare and I were in the run making the above and they were rummaging round us while we worked and didn't seem at all phased.
I am so glad we have a 'lid' on the run though, because they can fly really high. Watched them this morning from the kitchen and they were about a foot off the wire at the top and that is 6' plus high. yike* I suppose because most of them are relatively light/small that will help them gain height, which is something I did not even consider when getting them.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

As promised piccies of the chooks.