Feathers gone from chicken's bottoms

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
fionamd
Learner Laner

Feathers gone from chicken's bottoms

Post by fionamd »

I have 7 chickens of mixed breed, all around 14 months old and purchased from a reputable breeder when they were point of lay. I am not able to free range them because of foxes, so thay are in a large enclosure where they have plenty of space to roam. But 5 of them have lost all the feathers from around their bottoms and the skin in that area is red. They are not being pecked and I can see no evidence of lice or mite. They seem happy, are eating well and have been laying almost daily since I got them. Anyone got any ideas as to why this has happened and why the feathers are not growing back?

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Feathers gone from chicken's bottoms

Post by Grannyof4 »

It can "just" happen. What are you feeding? Can be boredom. The main thing is to keep an eye out for pecking as anything red is a licence to peck. You could try upping protein.
fionamd
Learner Laner

Post by fionamd »

Feeding layers pellets, corn mid-afternoon, mealworms, veg and fruit scraps, wettened bread, grass cuttings, dandelion leaves......... To keep them amused they have a swing, ladder, tree stumps, long perch, and I attach foods like cabbage, cauli and broccoli to the end of bungees..........a chicken's playground!
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Pass then. I would cut out the bread though, no nutritional value at all and so much other stuff. Just be careful they don 't get too fat. Chickens will eat their feathers as a source of protein. I think the main thing is to keep an eye on them and especially to check for any pecking.