1 girl, 1 boy... I think

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

1 girl, 1 boy... I think

Post by gardenergirl »

I think I'm right in saying I have one of each of these bearded silkie bantams? The one with the bigger wattles is also much bigger than the other, and is more aggressive towards the others in the flock. But, I haven't heard any crowing yet at 14 weeks old. Thoughts?

Girl?
Image20171001_135207

Girl?
Image20171001_135201

Boy?
Image20171001_135141

Boy?
Image20171001_135150

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: 1 girl, 1 boy... I think

Post by kitla »

I think you're right, one looks more like a girl, & the other has more colour in the wattles. Silkies are notoriously difficult to tell apart till they mature. Blind Giblet's first friend was a white silkie called mrs Fluffnut - we were so sure! but alas it was actually Mr Fluffnut.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

Seems to be - I also think boys tend to carry themselves more upright and have the more elongated necks ...but in the chicken world you always end up with one exception :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

I saw him sizing up to one of the other boys (pekins) yesterday and doing that guy thing where they try and karate kick each other. I was hoping they'd all just live peacefully together, but I suppose that was too much to ask!

PS Kitla, some nice creative names there! :-D