Wood Treatment

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
T_Steadman
Lively Laner

Wood Treatment

Post by T_Steadman »

Hi, it's me again. Pest, I know, sorry.

We are receiving delivery of our new hen house next Wednesday and then hoping to purchase the chickens on Friday. The house has been treated, but I'm presuming that it's only been treated with a wood preserver. Is there anything that you can get that's a red mite deterrent?
I have read on here about creosote (I'm sure my dad has some knocking about in his sheds somewhere) and also gloss paint. Should I use these as prevention or when I actually have red mite? If I can't get hold of creosote, is there anything else I can use?
I'm also making a run, so will that have to be treated as well?

Thanks for your patience :)
Toni
xxxx

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

I think Creosote is illegal now?

I've never painted my sheds with anything. I had a mite problem last year, but the weather seems not to have attracted them so much this year.

You could have a look at this powder which you could sprinkle as instructions.
CLICK HERE

If you're having an Ark, the good news is that the chickens are lower down, whereas in a taller chicken house they tend to take over more.

Cheers, Richard

PS - Take a look at the new Photo pages,we certainly have a selection of good ideas and setups.....

http://www.downthelane.net/forum-photo-page-2.html
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
T_Steadman
Lively Laner

Post by T_Steadman »

You can still buy creosote for 'professional' purposes and many people do swear by it, which is why I was wondering.........

I'll go to my local (large, very good) pet store tomorrow and see what they suggest too.
My way of thinking is to arm myself with as much information as possible and, hopefully, make an educated :shock: decision!!!
Toni
xxxx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I'm sure it will be.

Make sure you tell them when you're getting the house, then the chickens as there may be a 'smell' time wotsit, thingy!

Sorry, don't know the word for it.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
T_Steadman
Lively Laner

Post by T_Steadman »

:-D

Thanks. My guess is that a powder like the one you suggested will be my best bet as (like, as i think you said) the chickens can go in straight away.
Toni
xxxx
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I had an outbreak of mite last summer and used the powder which eliminated it quite effectively. Personally I don't like the idea of creosote, partly because of its supposed carcniogenic potential but also beacuse it has such a lingering smell. Not sure thats good for the hens.

Phil K
melons
Legendary Laner

mite stuff

Post by melons »

I do the girls in mite powder, the same as Richard suggested, every 4 weeks, the house every week with it, then I also use poultry shield on the house as a preventative measure, a lot of people use Diatom which I think you use on the girls & the house, but from what I've read, keep changing these around to prevent them coming immune to any of them. Some peeple also use frontline with different results, as some chickens can react to it, not sure how but some have!
Just use everything you can lay your hands on, the guy I brought my hen house from, said to use paraffin on it, neat !
Cheers
mel x
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I can't remember the name of the mite powder I used (I will look it up when I get a chance) but it was applied in the coop rather than the birds. Its mode of action was not insecticidal but the effect of coating the mites caused them to suffocate and dry out as they could no longer breath through their exoskelton. Made me wonder whether talcum powder would work :wink:

Phil K