Hens not eating pellets

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Hens not eating pellets

Post by Bluefinch »

It has been a while now that they are not eating their layers pellets. I am just wasting them which I don't want to do. They are free range all day - are they getting enough with that?

I do give some kitchen scraps in the afternoon and occasionally some porridge. Only one of the two I have left lays but she is laying every day.

Have tried not letting them out of the run straightaway in the morning but they still do not touch their food.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Hens not eating pellets

Post by Mo »

How do you feed them?
If it is in a hopper it won't be wasted and they can eat what they need. I've found that if they know it is there they don't stuff themselves at one time.
Maybe cut out the scraps and porridge - do you make that with oats, some people make a 'porridge' of pellets and warm water.

The other possibility is that the pellets are contaminated in some way, we had one sack that they wouldn't eat - bought on a Friday so we had to borrow some for the weekend to tide us over till we could get more.

If they are laying well they are probably getting enough.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Don't think it is contamination Mo as I have tried two different lots of pellets. I will go back to using a hopper so there is no waste. Maybe they are just getting enough food free ranging.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Hi Bluefinch, have you tried making a 'mash' my girls love that and wolf it down. Just pellets and water. You have to put in more water than you think as the pellets expand and soak it all up. Maybe try them with a small bowl to start with and see how they get on.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Hi KathJ. Yes I have tried that and they used to really like that especially with a bit of tuna oil mixed in but now they seem to turn their nose up at everything apart from pasta or scrambled egg! I will just see how they go. I am hoping to get a couple more hens soon so will see how it goes with them.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

imagine if you were offered prime beef (if you weren't vegetarian) and a varied menu on a daily basis, or just cardboard. If you had never known anything but cardboard, you'd probably not think twice, but once offered variety then the only way you'd go back to cardboard is when you were not just hungry, but starving. Pellets may have all the requirements for laying hens in a commercial setting, but don't look appetising. Once they started foraging, you might find they probably get a lot of essential nutrients in a more natural way and you just don't realise it. Come winter, some foods will be less available and cold can make you more hungry for calories so they are likely to return to eating some pellets. I'm afraid the only way you can make them eat pellets and pellets only, is to stop them from foraging and totally ignore their pitiful appeal for the good life - no animal is going to starve itself to death and they will have no other option but to start eating pellets again. I know, very difficult to do especially when the hens are more like pets than farm animals.

Just don't forget to make sure they have a good supply of crushed oyster shell, and you can always supplement their drinking water with various tonics that contain vitamins and minerals essential for good health but generally I wouldn't worry about it too much )t'
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Thanks for your reply LL. I will stop worrying. I am sure they get lots of goodies foraging all day in the garden. The pellets will be there when they need them.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

Have you tried giving them mash instead. Mine prefer that to pellets.
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Thanks for your reply LBH. Mine suddenly started eating their pellets again a few weeks ago. I think it is as the mood takes them. They now have a new friend which is going to be challenging over the next few days.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Bluefinch wrote:. They now have a new friend

Using the term loosely!

Glad they are eating - they like to confuse us.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Yes Mo I am going to try to introduce them today. I have the new one in a cage so that they can see each other for a couple of days but want to see how they get on out and about together. Just waiting for Spice to lay her egg so that I can then introduce the new hen to the coop and run for a while before letting her out and about with the other two.