Mycoplasma and the use of tylan

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Re: Mycoplasma and the use of tylan

Post by ChickenCarol »

Hi Bob

It's definitely respiratory disease. They are sneezing and droplets spray out when they sneeze. They did have a darth vader sound to their breathing but that has now cleared however they are still sneezing. I am on day seven of the second bout of tylan and they have been like this for three weeks now which is really worrying me. They are not getting worse but I know that the sneezing needs to stop for them to get better. What was the longest that yours took to get better from this?

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I would get stronger meds from the vets.
It can take time and sometimes even with all the TLC you give it fails and they fly over the bridge. It is sad that chickens are so complex creatures.
But whilst they are still eating and NOT losing weight they have a good chance. I weigh mine at least at the beginning so as I know when really ill (weight loss) .
Maybe a jab from the vets is needed .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes I think I agree with Bob, if they are still showing nsymptoms then something stronger may be worth trying. Denaguard or baytrill, or an injection of stronger tylan, but the vets should be able to advise. How are they now Carol?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Hi Bob and Karen

Yesterday I thought they looked worse with bubbles in their eyes (the two worse girls) but today they look brighter and no bubbles. I have been to the vet today to collect poultry zest which she recommended to give them a boost and she is getting me some denagaurd which is stronger. She says it will be in tomorrow or the next day. I will continue with tylan until the denaguard comes in. Tomorrow will be day twelve on the tylan. I have been up and down with this over the last few days but today seemed a bit more hopeful. I will keep you posted. I am posting on my blog every day and photographed the bubbles in their eyes yesterday but am glad to say no bubbles today.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , right you have got girls with bubbles in eyes . This is down to a virus It effects there eyes and nose (next to ) eyes .
SULPHATRIM is what I have given to my girls FROG had it twice . Many girls before .
Got from mice /rat eating soiling the run.
It is fixable most times .
But now you know what the problem is , you are on a winning streak. Tylan is the first port of call. Clean the eyes if possible not with same cotton /pads. (make up ones do nicely . I kept mine in side isolated as believe it can spread .
If it was a vet that does birds she would know - bubbles .
Bob
Hope it is helpful.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Hi Bob

I have done loads of research on this (my vet agrees with me) mycoplasma has the symptoms mine have which is sneezing, Slight wheezing in their breathing and sometimes bubbles in their eyes. The bubbles are only occasionally when they are perched up in the afternoons and they are able to quickly blink them clear so no need for me to clear them. My vet said it's a good sign that they are blinking them clear.

There has been improvement the last few days, no bubbles, no sound to their breathing, still sneezing but a bit less and a bit brighter all round. They are on day twelve of tylan but denaguard has been ordered and may be in tomorrow. They are also on poultry zest as of today to try to boost them.

I had mycoplasma in my flock (bought in by two new girls) last summer so was aware it would flare up again at times but this is the longest I have ever had to treat. That was why I wanted to know if anyone else had treated this long. I am more hopeful now though as they finally seem to be improving.

Thank you all for your advise. I will keep you posted.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Vets are always right.
Hope they are ok and let us know how they get on .
Make a note of the meds and ask the question of should I get some .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I only had mycoplasma once, right when I started out with chickens. I was started on tylan but when one hen developed resporatory disorder I was given baytril (gave it on bread) which worked a treat. I know there's alot of controversy about baytril now though re immunity issues.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Hi Kitia

When the two new girls bought this into my flock last summer I knew nothing about this, (I lost them both). I treated with baytril (I used to mix it with sunflower hearts and Caramel woofed it down). I had her three weeks from getting her to having her put to sleep. One eye swelled, sticky mucus from her nostril, sweet, sickly smell, rattle in her breathing then her second eye swelled shut. At that point I had to have her put to sleep, it was so awful.

I have since done loads of research on this and baytril is now recommended that there is complete withdrawal of egg eating as it is thought that it may stop us responding to antibiotics. After this I knew that I needed to act on the very first signs as it remains in the flock forever and will flare up especially at times of stress. I think the two worse girls were triggered by a heavy moult just as it went really cold and frosty.

I have now been treating them for nearly a month but their symptoms have remained at sneezing, slight wheezing sometimes and eye bubbles sometimes. There has been improvement in the last few days so am becoming more hopeful that they can get better.

Sorry for the long comment but I just hope it may help someone else in future. They need treating at the first sign of sneezing.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , This is why I always ask for treatments and out comes etc.
So useful to read back on or point people to that are suffering the same with their flocks.
Bob
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear things are improving slightly, long may it continue. Everything crossed here for a good outcome. {hug}
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I thought it was time to come back with an update. My vet wasn't able to get denagard for me in a small enough amount. She ordered some and it came in a huge sack which said to mix an amount with one ton of chicken food and if you over dose, the chickens could go into toxic shock ... eeek! I decided this was much too dangerous to use and returned it and got a refund.

Meanwhile she talked to a farmer friend on my behalf and he said changing the treatment probably wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. The vet got me some poultry zest to help the girls through the moult as two of them are moulting at the moment and we agreed to continue giving the tylan daily until there was improvement and to assess again after Christmas.

In the last week and a half there have been no further eye bubbles and no more wheezing. The sneezing has been very gradually getting less and is now just quieter sneezes and just occasional. New Years Eve will be day twenty eight of the tylan in the water and I plan to make that the last day providing there is no relapse.

It has been a long process but the girls have gradually improved and I am hopeful now that we have come through this. I will be keeping a very close watch on them and will treat again if this returns but I am hopeful that for now we have come through this.