How much shade is too much?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

How much shade is too much?

Post by OldForum »

Jill
How much shade is too much for chickens?
My garden is south facing but at the bottom of it, where I would like to keep some hens, it is very shady. I have several silver birches and a couple of huge conifer trees making the area quite dark but cool. At certain times off the day little patches of sunlight appear and grass grows in these patches.
I am just concerned that there might not be enough light for the ladies.
As I am in a conservation area I can't cut down any of the trees, but does anyone know how I might "accidently" kill a conifer?!!

Mo
At the moment mine are enjoying some shade. I've had to move them out of the orchard as the fruit hangs low, but I had made a temporary arc from an old fence panel (just two 3' sqares hinged at the top) and I've given them that without the ends for a day-time summer house. Last week they spent a lot of time in it.
But they also like basking in the sun when it's cooler.

Minidaz
Jill, your garden and chicken layout sounds very similar to mine.

We're in the process of getting everything setup at the bottom of our garden. We have quite a few trees, which makes it fairly shady, although we do get sunshine down there. We could get more sun, but i want to keep the trees, as without them, it would be to sunny.

Currently hoping some grass seed is going to take, as at the moment, it's just soil.

I would have thought that aslong as they are getting some natural light, they should be fine

Mo
There was a farmer on the radio yesterday who sells eggs to supermarkets which he labels "forest eggs" or somesuch. He claims that since they are descended from jungle fowl, chickens are happier under trees.
All that bare earth will be fun to scratch in.

Minidaz
I think the recent rain and sun must have done the trick as some of the grass has started to come through

Jill
Thanks everyone for all of your replies. Ok the conifer has received a stay of execution. Maybe I could take my little ladies to the seaside if they want some sun!
Jill