Rosie gone broody

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Rosie gone broody

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, Mo you made me laugh.
It was not so bad when there was one or two of them, but now four it takes ages to lift them off and then wherever I put them outside they sit until I move them again. So not a quick 5 min jobby anymore. I don't think my knee and leg would stand going down to the bottom of the garden every ten mins, but can give that a try if shutting the door doesn't work.
I think I will start to shut the coop door first and see what that does. I am not really bothered about the eggs tbh but they are nice when I get them.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well, I still have 4 broody hens, the first is now on 60 something days.
I am concerned about the first one as she is very light now. Would it be OK to give the broody ones some cat food actually on the nest? I do not want something to happen to them just because they are broody.
I have a large dog crate, could I put all four in that at once? Blooming chickens, these four have such a strong mind set. }hairout{
I have read about frozen veg in the nest box, has anyone tried this and wouldn't they get frost bite as I know when used on humans we are told only to leave on approx 20 mins I think it is, or am I over thinking this?
The 3 chickens who are not broody are laying anywhere at the minute and the eggs are breaking sometimes when falling to the ground although the shells are very strong.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

what a pain for you! I've tried the ice pack thing, wrap an ice pack in a towel or something & stick it under the broody. It didnt work for me. Do your broodies eat when they come off their nest for a break? I'd have thought that's a better time to give them some extra protein rather than while they're sitting. I have seen pics of people putting several chickens in a broody crate at once, perhaps you could try with 2 chooks & see what happens, if it works it should only take a few days apparently. it needs raising a little off the ground. In the meantime pet carry boxes & covered cat litter boxes make good nestboxes (for the laying hens)if you have/can borrow any.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks Kitla, yes they do eat, but are only off a few minutes unless I physically block them from returning to the nest. This p.m. I got all 4 of them off and gave meal worms along with some greens.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well, still got 4 broody hens }hairout{
As from Thurs lunchtime they have been in a large dog crate and am planning to leave them there until at least Sunday p.m. If they go back to being broody then they will be in it again. They have food and water in there and have been eating quite a lot and drinking which is a relief.
I am getting really worried because they are all very skinny, one almost skeletel (sp) now, so really had no other option.
The last thing I tried was to let them sit on unfertilized eggs and all four after '28' days were still sitting tight and coming off the nest less and less.
Wish me luck, pretty please.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Good luck.
Amber.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, Amber I have a feeling I may need it. LOL
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

WE HAVE LIFT OFF, LITERALLY AND YES I AM SHOUTING.
All four were let out of cage 6a.m. this morning and just went down to check they are still out in the run just a few minutes ago eating for England with some layers, corn and tit bits I gave them. No keep away from me clucking either...........I think I may have won. YAY
Have left the cage there for now, just in case they decide to back track and it is such a faff to put up and down as a large dog crate. Will check them regularly throughout the day and hopefully take it down late p.m. and clean up.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

None of them have wanted to go back to being broody and we have been thinking.
The dog crate is so awkward to put up and down on a regular basis so we have come up with the idea to make a wooden framed wire cage and fix it to the coop wall. That way anytime one of them decides to have another go it will be there ready and waiting, also we are hoping that because it is higher off the ground more air will circulate under their knickers to cool them off quicker.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You do that - be prepared. Then it will be years, if ever, before you need it. Take an umbrella to prevent rain.
I only ever had one hen - months the first time, far less the second year, then didn't bother. And none of the others ever tried (hybrids, I believe purebred are more inclined)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I don't know about them not doing it again, Mo. This is the second time Rosie has been broody and we only got her last Oct.
The first one to be broody this time has has approx 100 days and they were all getting very thin, so something drastic had to happen, hence the dog crate.
They seem to be making up for lost time with eating though which can't be a bad thing. I always thought hens were quite intelligent, not so sure now..........
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Today Rosie laid her first egg after being broody for weeks then ..................Teddy ate it. LOL
He was invited to eat it though, not just taken. Must admit from the look on his face when he had finished it was good. )t'