Miss Piggy's foot - is this a bumble?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
kitla
Legendary Laner

Miss Piggy's foot - is this a bumble?

Post by kitla »

I noticed her limping a bit this morning & shaking her foot like something was annoying her. I bathed it in salt water & we took this pic. It looks like a blister, or maybe pus, felt a bit lumpy, but not like a bumble to me. I think she's stopped limping so the foot bath has helped. I dont want to mess with it & make it worse. Has anyone elses hens had something that looked like this?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Miss Piggy's foot - is this a bumble?

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not seen anything like it tbh. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to answer your question.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Doesn't look like a bumble, or maybe that's what they look like in the very early stages. Maybe she's had something in there, like a splinter, or its rubbed into a blister off her perch? Get hold of some hibiscrub and bathe it in a diluted solution - it's great stuff. And put some sudocreme on it. Quite a few people have had good results with hibiscrub baths and sudocreme.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I think I have some hibi in the shed somewhere, I think I'll give her a going over at bedtime.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

At bedtime Misspiggy was grabbed and had her foot hibbiscrubbed, rinsed, dried, sudocreamed & liberally covered with antiseptic powder - then plopped back on her perch.(she wasnt happy about it atall!)
Hoping for improvement tomorrow!
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Fingers crossed this treatment works.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I would keep an eye on it . May need anti . Better safe sometimes . If she has not had to much previously should do any harm .
good photo , I was looking at the black bits . Looks like a poison under the skin.
Bob
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

How is Miss Piggy's foot now? Any improvement?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I cleaned it & took another photo to compare, but it looked exactly the same & MissP is not limping atall. So I'm just going to check it every few days & hopefully it will gradually disappear.
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

I know it's winter there but have you had a cold snap recently? Blisters can appear if it's been really cold (a bit like frostbite). Could be that's what it is...all you can do is keep an eye but I'd be more likely to go with that than bumblefoot at the moment.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

well that's an interesting thought! We most certainly have had alot of snow & ice this winter. Not for a couple of weeks now, but I spose if it was a frostbite blister that's still healing she might have stepped on something the other day that hurt it.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Yup, well done Manda, I just found this info in a Backyard Chicken article about frostbite.
"Watch out for limping when temperatures drop - it's an obvious sign of frostbitten feet. If you examine them you may see a light-coloured blisters on the feet (don't be tempted to pop them - you risk inviting infection!) and the pads will feel much harder than usual."
--Immanuel Kant
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

Kitla, thank you for posting such a good photo and the up-date. I've had several cases of bumblefoot but I'd never seen anything like that blister before. I'm very interested in what Manda suggested and the info you found in the Backyard Chicken article. It's a case that's certainly worth remembering.

The black pigmentation on Miss Piggy's foot is very similar to one of my girl's feet, and she is also dark feathered, so I'm afraid I have to disagree with Bob about it being poison.

You said you'd used Sudocrem on Miss Piggy's feet. At the risk of being seen as a possible 'crank', I've had very good results with using medical grade Manuka Honey & vet wrap on foot wounds.

Hope Miss Piggy's foot heals quickly. Perhaps you should post a before and after photo?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Yes the black spots are just Misspiggy's colouring on her dear little bantam feet. Manuka Honey probably is a good treatment but a tad pricey? I suppose sudocream & vaseline are chemical based so probably shouldnt be used too often. In the article they suggest coconut oil, I also thought about aloe vera as I have a plant handy.
Actually here's a link to that article incase anyone's interested
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articl ... ens.67020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

Lots of chickens have scales that colour on the bottom of their feet....
If it was Bumblefoot it would have been a focused spot as in a scab...the only way bumblefoot can occur is for the Staph infection to be enclosed because it can only grow without oxygen.

(and although it occurs mainly on the pad of the foot because that's the most likely place for something to puncture through - it can occur on the leg)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny