Avian Flu Prevention - 18 January 2018

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Avian Flu Prevention - 18 January 2018

Post by jaxhen »

Apologies for being the bearer of depressing news, but I've just received this email from the British Hen Welfare Trust:

"Defra has this morning announced that an Avian Flu Prevention Zone has been put in place in England. This applies to everyone who keeps poultry or captive birds, meaning they must follow increased biosecurity requirements.

This news is not cause for alarm, but it is a reason to up your biosecurity measures at home. All our booked re-homing events will still be taking place as planned, albeit with heightened biosecurity measures in place. If you are collecting hens please ensure you where appropriate footwear for boot dipping.

The news reached us via an email from the British Free Range Egg Producers Association. We're posting the content below as it contains everything you need to know:

Defra have announced this morning that following a second finding of AI H5N6 in wild birds in Warwickshire an extended AI prevention zone now applies across the whole of England. This is not a housing order but a legal requirement to follow strict biosecurity procedures and applies to all bird keepers, whether having just a few birds to commercial size flocks.

Defra have explained that this decision by the Chief Veterinary Officer, Nigel Gibbens follows an outbreak last week where 17 wild birds tested positive in Dorset and a total of 31 infected birds have now been identified at that site. Defra took swift action to put a local prevention zone in the area on Friday (12 January). However, as these latest results show that the disease is not isolated to a single site the decision has been taken to extend the prevention zone across the country on a precautionary basis.

Testing of the birds found in Warwickshire is ongoing, however, it is highly expected that this will be the same H5N6 strain of the virus that which has been circulating in wild birds across Europe in recent months. Public Health England have advised the risk to public health remains very low and the Food Standards Agency have said that bird flu does not pose a food safety risk for UK consumers.

The prevention zone means bird keepers across the country must:

Ensure the areas where birds are kept are unattractive to wild birds, for example by netting ponds, and by removing wild bird food sources;
Feed and water your birds in enclosed areas to discourage wild birds
Minimise movement in and out of bird enclosures;
Clean and disinfect footwear and keep areas where birds live clean and tidy;
Reduce any existing contamination by cleansing and disinfecting concrete areas, and fencing off wet or boggy areas.

The prevention zone will be in place until further notice and will be kept under regular review as part of our work to monitor the threat of bird flu."

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Avian Flu Prevention - 18 January 2018

Post by Gwenoakes »

Nice one.......not.
As I haven't encountered this before, only getting hens late last year what is the recommended disinfectant to use?
My hens are penned with no access to wild birds at all even the top of the run, so will I need to put tarpaulin/cover over galv netting on top?
Sorry for the questions, just want to make sure my girls are as safe as they can be.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

We had the big Avian Flu epidemic December 2016 - so some posts about that HERE

I think it will be a regular annual thing as Britain is where all the wild fowl and migrating birds come for their winter hols ... As it was bad last time, most likely this is the same or similar strain. The main risk is to commercial flocks rather than back garden hens but while the disease is active, the cost to farmers could be devastating as whole flocks will have to be culled which is why it is a blanket announcement.

Gwenoakes wrote:My hens are penned with no access to wild birds at all even the top of the run, so will I need to put tarpaulin/cover over galv netting on top?

)t' wild birds might not have access but like all flu, it spreads easily (through poo, saliva and so on) so a solid roof or tarpaulin cover should prevent them landing in the run.

Gwenoakes wrote: what is the recommended disinfectant to use?

I can't remember exactly. As I don't need to tread in and out of my 2 runs (only 1 hen left in each run because the younger one could seriously injure/kill the other if together) but I seem to remember reading Virkon or Stalosan F, Nettex are some of the brands used.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I agree with Lassie, but also unsure of which disinfectant is best.

Quite a good read here..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu

Like many things, these scares come and go, but always best to be preventive.

Most of the suggestions are also relevant to security of your chickens.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

Welcome to hen-keeping Gwenoakes.

Just when you thought you'd got your run all set up, along comes Avian Flu restrictions to give you another job to do! As Lancashire Lass says, this AI business is likely to be a regular thing, so it's worth considering a solid roof of polycarbonate, or a cheaper alternative is a tarpaulin over the existing mesh roof. You can get fairly clear reinforced tarps at reasonable cost from suppliers on-line. You just have to make sure they are secured well and don't take off in the wind!

I use Virkon S disinfectant, which is DEFRA approved. I buy the large tub, which varies in price where you buy it from, but in the long-term, I've found it works out cheaper than the sachets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_6?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=virkon+s+disinfectant&sprefix=virkon%2Caps%2C140&crid=6JW77IIQLFSM
This is taken from Amazon website.

Virkon S is a powerful broad spectrum virucidal disinfectant that make it the disinfectant of choice for many poultry keepers. DEFRA approved to kill viruses including Bird Flu, Foot & Mouth, Swine Flu and other Poultry Diseases. It's versatility and safety profile, together with it's DEFRA approval, mean it can be used safely for the routine disinfection of wooden & hard surfaces, chicken feeding equipment, entire hen coops, poultry floors, disinfecting feet & wheel-dips and cleaning water systems. Probably the most versatile disinfectant on the market, it can be applied directly to the animal, its house, or surroundings and will kill viruses, fungi and bacteria quicker and at lower doses than most other products. It is powerful yet safe to use with animals and around the home. Simple to mix and instantly ready to use. Mixing Guidelines: 1 part disinfectant : 100 parts water. 1kg will make up to 100 litres.