Chicken had a stroke. Left with curled toes. Please Help

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
karen7609
Learner Laner

Chicken had a stroke. Left with curled toes. Please Help

Post by karen7609 »

One of my ex batts has had a stroke 2 weeks ago. She's made a fantastic progress so far. At first she wasn't eating or drinking and her co-ordination was extremely poor. She's now eating and drinking, co-ordination is back to normal and she's fully alert and has put on weight. however, it has left her with curled under toes on both feet and a slightly droopy right wing. When I straighten her toes and encourage her to stand she does do, but after a few minutes her toes curl up again. When I pick her up she curls her toes around my fingers, so I know she has the ability to have full use of her toes. What I'm asking is, is there anything else I should be doing, or should I just wait? What are people's thought's on trying to make her some sort of splint, or using vet wrap?
She's currently living with 2 of my other "special girls" one who's blind and one who has one leg shorter than the other, so she's with other chickens but its breaking my heart that she can't stand properly or is able to get around. I'm also fearful that progress has slowed down. Any help from anyone who may be able to offer advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken had a stroke. Left with curled toes. Please Help

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Karen , I have a hen -Club , her feet claws are bent back and she walks on her pads -balances on them when she perches.
She I believe was born with it so does not know any different .
I think you have tried your best with your hen and I am sure that some point ( when you know the time is right ) she will need to be PTS ) .
I think at this moment all you can do is maybe put some padding and bandage on her feet - Take off regularly to check condition .
If she is eating and drinking and her quality of life is ok then carry on doing what you feel is best .
Keep us updated as never know what I will have in future and no two thinks are the same but helps .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

Sorry to hear your girl is ill. but it sounds like she's doing well with her recovery (and you!) I think if we were looking at a person, the doctors would be advising exercise and physio so I would say the same for your chicken. You could try the vet wrap option to support the toes a bit more, making sure she can still flex them to grip as needed. It may be worth thinking about whether you can rig up some harness for her, to help support her legs and give them a workout for a little while a day, see if that helps her get some strength back into the muscles. Have you had any vet advice? Can her legs take her own weight?

Also with her diet, curled feet and spasms can also be a sign of vitamin deficience esp vit b, so try adding some nutridrops and/or a vit b solution to her food.

Keep a close eye on her - I'm sure you are already - and make sure she is getting enough to eat and drink. And sadly, you'll need to consider her long term prospects at some stage - it's a tough call. But let's hope she continues to pick up and the toe curling can be improved.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Are you sure this isnt marek's? Even though exbatts should be vaccinated it's not 100% protection. I spose there's no way to be sure. It cant hurt to try vet wrap on her feet & see how she reacts, you'll soon see if it distresses her or if she seems relieved. Let us know how you get on, we learn from eachother.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant