Broody hen

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
eggy
Learner Laner

Broody hen

Post by eggy »

Is there a better hatch rate using a broody hen compared with an incubator ? I mean, if you put six eggs under a broody, what hatch rate compared with an incu ?

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Broody hen

Post by Mo »

I've not hatched any, but I suspect it depends on the hen. Some are 'good mothers'. And the quality of the incubator - how well it can control temperature & humidity. Then the eggs might be variable too if you get them from an unknown internet source.

Manda has had a lot of broodies hide away, then come back with chicks. But she has a big flock and a large area. You would need to separate the broody from the others, and wait for one to go broody - incubators only need plugging in, but then you need to take care of the chicks whereas a hen will usually do it all.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

i would love to be able to make a comparison....but I can't because I've never used an incubator. I would say though given the choice I will go broody every time because that is my preference...it's natural and they sort out the eggs that are viable for you....any non-viable eggs they will kick out the nest, any chicks that don't hatch properly they will abandon. That way the chicks that make it to adulthood were meant to get there. May sound harsh but I do believe in natural selection....an incubator takes that away because regardless of how you want to do it if you see a chick struggling your overwhelming desire is to intervene.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

a broody hen will also bring up the chicks, keep them at the right temperature, teach them what they need to know & protect them until they are old enough to manage without her. It will also make the broody very happy & is lovely to watch.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant